Logo

Convert a Tohatsu 18hp from tiller to remote steering

smurph1

Hi, I am investigating how to convert a Tohatsu 18hp from tiller to remote steering? I am in UK.
2006 model MFS18B2 3V9 [serial number 067945XF]
What parts are needed, and what is approx. expense?

I did that recently. It's not too bad, but will be a little expensive if you use all the factory stuff. Assuming your engine already has electric start? If not, forget it and just get another engine! The cost of the starter and components alone negates the conversion.

Boats.net has all the little bits and pieces you will need under the cowl. Mine is a 25, so it's a little different and I imagine that the parts under the cowl that you need will be different as well. On mine, I needed a bracket to hold the control cables, a plug where the cables enter the engine, and a bell crank, various rods and some cable ends for connecting the cables. I used seastar extreme cables, a Uflex side mount control and Uflex rotary helm with Uflex cable. I also made my own engine wiring harness using the FSM and an after market keyswitch and lanyard.

Like I said, if you use ALL the factory stuff, it gets expensive fast. If your not a DIY kind of guy, just sell it and get one that is already setup for it.

Oh, almost forgot... You will also need the drag link assembly, bracket and bolts.

I can tell you that it's worth doing. But, it's a project. Be prepared.... Here are a couple pics of my boat as a tiller and the refit and conversion. My boat was a side console with tiller control and I converted it to center console with remote. It works fantastic too! Super smooth.... I'm very happy with it!

clean up 2.jpgcables.jpgfr starboard.jpg

This IPB (link down below) is for the remote version and will give you an idea of what you need and the costs associated with throttle and gear shift. You already have most of it. You will probably need item #13 and all the little rods, stop nuts, bushings, screws and cable joints. You may or may not need bracket #5. Lots of little parts in there. Be sure to get them and double check before ordering. The drag link parts are down at the bottom of the diagram.

When I did mine, I compared what I already had on the engine to what was in the diagram and just ordered what I "did not have" and it worked out perfect.

FYI, aftermarket universal control boxes cost half of what the original ones cost. If you want to go that route, see if you can find a used one locally or on ebay, craigslist, etc...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Tohatsu/Outboard/2006/MFS18B2/SHIFT (FOR EP)/parts.html

Back