Logo

Digital multi tach/speedo on 07 BF150's

matt13moto

Does anyone know if I can update my guages from analog to digital on my twin 2007 BF150s? I currently have the standard 5 gauge analog set up, and would like to switch to the digital multi tach/speedo. My particular serial number is too early to support NMEA 2000 gauges that honda sells currently. I found some on Ebay, but I don't know if there were many different digital tach/speedo models or just one? I was hoping to just buy two tacos, and one speedo and two new harnesses (Harness still available from honda) Is it simple as that or not? Anyone with experience with these old digital gauges have any input? Thanks

I had them installed with my new 2007 BF 225 (installed in 08). I've not been very happy with them mainly because they are hard to read, even in my cabin boat. I suspect they would be more hard to read on an open console. Plus, they're darned expensive. Having said that, they are very accurate in terms of fuel use, giving you total fuel use, GPH, and MPG. Fuel usage is very accurate. On my engine, it's typically within 2 - 3 gallons on a 100 gallon fill up. The Tach is in 10 rpm increments, so 5000 rpm is displayed as 500. Speed is measured from a pitit tube on your engine, which gets clogged a lot. I installed a separate pitit pick up on my transom, and simply plugged the one that came off of the engine.

My advice is to try to find someone who has them installed and see for yourself.

Depending on what harness was initially rigged, you may not even need to replace them. I think a lot of the Honda harnesses are set up for either, but Hondadude or one of the other techs on this forum would know more about that.

OK, thanks for the info. Maybe I should just stick with what I have.... Also I just bought these twin 2007 BF150's with 800 hours on them, and they run good, but now Im reading all over these forums about crankshaft thrust bearing failure and the crank dropping. Has anyone on here figured out what the cause or solution is? What is the best oil to run to prevent this and how much end play is too much? Also what is the failure rate? I just don't understand how it could be so random. I will be measuring mine sometime this week, to investigate, but now Im feeling like I made a bad choice buying a honda outboard! Anyone that has information about this thrust bearing issue would be much appreciated!

The Honda 150 has a really good reputation and there are a pot load of them out there. So the issues you read about on this forum are from people who are having problems.

I can't say from first hand knowledge about problems with the thrust bearing. It's a potential issue on all of the big Honda's as well as other brands.

Chris from Dockside Marine seems to have had a lot of experience with this issue.

What I've been told is that it is most often caused when the engine is allowed to sit for a long period of time without being run. The dealers in my area try to mitigate the problem with using a heavier oil like the Merc 25W-40 once the engine is out of warranty.

Hopefully, more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Back