Logo

Still hard to steer

eric

i have an older chrysler ob i

i have an older chrysler ob it was hard to steer with the wheel so i disconnected it at the motor it was still very hard to steer. I put new grease in it it loosened up some but is still hard to steer anyone know why or if there is a way to fix it thanks ERIC

" Eric,

I'm assuming wh

" Eric,

I'm assuming what you're talking about is disconnecting the steering parts and turning the engine manually (as opposed to turning the wheel with the engine disconnected). If you are able to get grease into the swiveling parts on the engine and can work it in, that should've done it. Did the engine free up, but the steering got difficult when you tried to use the wheel again? Did you try using the wheel with the cable disconnected (wondering if it may your cable and helm as well) ?

My only other idea, other than disassembling and cleaning out corrosion is: Some engines actually have a steering tensioning screw, it puts pressure on the tube which swivels and allows the engine to turn, see if you have one and back it out if so.

If you do not have this adjustment, and are sure it's only related to the engine and are not getting anywhere by greasing and working it in - I'd first try "cleaning" out the swiveling area with some rust cutting solvent, like WD40. It's possible that some scale is being held in there by grease, the WD40 will cut the grease and hopefully allow the scale to shift around or fall out the bottom. If that doesn't work, there must be something really fowled up, that's going to require dissasembly and cleaning.

Jon "

Back