Logo

Purchasing bf130 with head problem. Solutions?

Vsicks86

Looking at an 02 bf130 for my boat. I don't have the serial number but I'm pretty sure it's one of the recalled ones with the head issue. Guy says it started overheating and then had water in the oil. He only wants 400 for it w controls and stainless prop. It's very clean and in good shape so I can't imagine it's not worth that kind of money. Is it? I will be doing the repair myself and I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight on how their repair went and if I will need any additional parts. So far I have found a bare head for 477, gasket for 95, thermostat for 20. Am I wasting my time/money?

I have no personal experience with the 130, but based on the many, many posts on this forum, it's likely not worth the effort. It was a turkey - the reason it had such a short production run.

My 2000 cracked the head just out of warranty and we had a guy put a head on it labor and parts for about a grand. Having some fuel delivery problems right now but 4 years later. I'm not as knowledgeable as these other guys but if nothing else is wrong like overrun with the water in the crankcase, might be worth a try considering the cost of late model stuff...but I'm far from being an expert...and it did get hot...

Last edited:
Back