Logo

Is this a prestolite distributor? upgrading to elec roller+flat cam compatible dizzy

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi there - is this distributor on my 1976 prestolite? I am not familiar with for distributors -

distibutor (Copy).jpg

Need to know cos some of the kits ask what type I have - otherwise I might just get a complete distributor, however some of them are modified HEI ones and dont support roller cams :(

bit confusing

a snap on cap and a thin outer housing is Prestolite and a screwdown cap is Mallory with a thick housing
Your looks like a snap down so its a Prestolite

Question:
What is this portion of the aluminum housing being used for?
If this extends to support a vaccum diaphram unit, you have an Automotive Ignition Distributor..... NOT GOOD!

(see red arrow)

Attachments

• Ford distributor.jpg
    Ford distributor.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 80
If you go with electronic ignition, I'll suggest NOT going with a conversion kit such as Pertronix.
These Pretronix conversion kits do ZERO to correct an old malfuntioning advancing system or shaft wobble due to worn bushings, etc.

Mallory offers a very good mechanically advancing VR YLM system that has stood the test of time.
Mallory also offers a very good mechanically advancing photo-eye YLU unit.
Delco offers a good EST system if you are OK with EST.

What ever you do, find your Marine Engine's OEM ignition advance curve and follow it!
Not only set/check BASE advance, but look at the progressive and TA.

ok thanks ricardo - will look into that.. busy looking for new distributor complete - hoping to find a HEI one that will work ok. What makes a distributor marine? I guess no vac advance and no vent holes?

anything else? Kinda wish I could just replace the dizzy cap with no vac hole and add a gasket underneath - surely that would be as safe as it can be -

Last edited:
Correct.

no adjustment hole/window for adjusting points,
vent holes if present are grounded between cap and housing

No marine OEM distributor has a vacuum advance.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...944558+520&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751...sjXHzPJLFd_ZIBbnszU9iPD5RxShuSfE4TRoCvbTw_wcB

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ford-marine-distributor

here are a few links.....not a lot of choices...

I would say a pertronix electronic kit would work fine if you were starting with an original marine distributor, which you are not so that has to go!!

yup - im curious if you bought a brand name model with the vac hole in the cap - and swapped a compatible marine rated cap - just curious. Lucky the boat is still in the yard and I always run it with cover off and a (brand new) extinguisher by me :)

Oh well - lucky I found this out now :)

Id def go with the HEI style (no points) - The pertronix Hei ones said no bushings were available for roller cams due to the "proprietary" nature of the unit! Since Im going roller at some point id like sth that will work down the road - esp at this price!

Mallory used to make some all in one electronic marine distributors, some are still available but very pricy!! mostly for GM!

The DUI units I linked to are based on the tried and tested GM HEI automotive design but are for marine use

See if this was a GM motor you options would be endless......................but it's a ford.................forgotten, old, retired, dead...............FORD

Many ski boats used ford motors for years.........not sure if any of them had electronic ignitions.

OMC when they were making I/O's up till the late 90's they were also using ford blocks but they still had point ignitions........

yup - the GM models are way cheaper :) either way Ill have to do with what I got.. took a comp reading off 1 cyl yesterday - 147psi.. couldnt test others - have to remove exh manifolds, but if they rest are close thats not too bad.. wd like to maybe id the cam too..

FstaRockr Burns, this is a Ford 351 Windsor...... correct?

Jack's first link leads us to a Summit ad which does not delineate between 5.0L and 5.8L.
His second link leads us to a distributor for a Ford 351 C .
His third link leads us to an array of 5.0L and 5.8L distributors...... perhaps one of these will fit.

Just make sure that if you replace the existing, that you purchase a Marine Ignition Distributor for a 5.8L Ford Windsor!
The 5.0 and 5.8 distributors DO NOT interchange.

FstaRockr Burns, this is a Ford 351 Windsor...... correct?

Jack's first link leads us to a Summit ad which does not delineate between 5.0L and 5.8L.
His second link leads us to a distributor for a Ford 351 C .
His third link leads us to an array of 5.0L and 5.8L distributors...... perhaps one of these will fit.

Just make sure that if you replace the existing, that you purchase a Marine Ignition Distributor for a 5.8L Ford Windsor!
The 5.0 and 5.8 distributors DO NOT interchange.

Yes, they have several selections for various ford engines but I believe they contain specific ones for the 351 Windsor he has.

yes 351w - was hoping to get a HEI model cos u can change springs and parts are a dime a dozen, thanks for the gear setup - yes i know somewhere u have to check compatibility with tappet/roller cams (cast/steel?).. wont be going billet roller tho!

but we will see - thanks for the info guys. Fyi the distributor in there doesnt have any opening for a vac - so i believe it could be a marine unit sharing the same body as an automotive.

Ill try get a casting number off it to be sure - those marine puppies clock in at $250+ a piece! ouch! anyway -

have do wait for a paycheck to come in! laid down first coat of Rustoleum top seal on the boat today - man always nice when it comes together nicely after a few days of grinding away old manky carpet glue in the hot sun with f glass floating everywhere!

A marine diz has explosion proofing while an automotive one does not. Your call there cap'n. This is true for all marine electric components; alternator, starter, distributor...
Also the fuel system requires special modifications to the carburetor and fuel pump, tank and filters. You just don't want fuel vapor getting anywhere near a source of ignition.
That extends to the wiring. You don't want to wire it in a way that can possibly produce shorts/sparks/hot spots, etc.
Nothing is as frightening as a fire on a boat. An explosion, however, won't leave you any time to be scared.

Last edited:
The Marine Engine ignition distributor is not only "ignition source protected", the advance curve is substantially different.
Wrong curve in the Marine Engine under just the right conditions, and severe engine damage may occur.

Choose your poison........ either way...... it's not a good idea!

yeah Im aware of the curve being different.. was just curious about the rest. My dizzy doesnt have any vent holes in the body/cap - I will get a number off sometime this week to see whether its marine or not -

I already replaced the starter with a marine model. Carbs have none venting gaskets.. i presume overflow holes are plugged too, no vac advance or openings and no plungers stick out of the body..

Anyway - hard to imagine a unit that sells for 50-60 bucks is 250+ for the "marine" version, seems like a ridiculous price jump for very little extra (or less) material differentiation..

Any way have budgeted for marine dizzy - will see what I can find used maybe..

Last edited:
thanks - yes i saw that on ebay yesterday.. so it will fit then? will get some numbers off my dizzy today and post em up. I do have a dwell tune kit as well -

Will my cap fit on there? Since mine is also a prestolite

Last edited:
Nope

That is the standard electronic mercruiser distributor for small and big block V8's (except 502)

Plus you would need the correct coil which yours is not, plus the ignition timing control unit which you dont have.

This distributor design is a very bullet prof system but never used on ford blocks.

So apparently the DUI hei distributors are "marine" but not certified for SAE J1171 - So what now? Who actually officially makes things "certified"? I see pertronix units are "Marine approved" - ??

Products:
http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/
http://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Pertronix-Flame-Thrower-Marine-Billet-Distributors/2853256/10002/-1

"DUI confirmed they are not SAE J1171 certified as they have not gone to the expense with the USCG process"

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...er-351w-ford-hei-vs-marine-distributor.html#b

Me in blue font.

theres always this unit - already electronic - and marine approved...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser-...ash=item25c27d207f:g:AJAAAOSwaB5XunH1&vxp=mtr
As Jack noted, this one is for a GM Engine.
You'll need a Marine approved ignition system for a 5.8L Ford Windor..... not a 289 or 302...... nor a 5.8L Ford C.
The oil pump hex drive for the 5.8L W is not the same as is for the 5.0LW.

So apparently the DUI hei distributors are "marine" but not certified for SAE J1171 - So what now? Who actually officially makes things "certified"? I see pertronix units are "Marine approved" - ??

Products:
http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/

From the DUI advertisement:
Look closely at the words that I have highlited in bold font.

Product Description
Increase performance and simplify the ignition system in your boat by installing our Marine DUI Distributor! The Marine DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) is a one-piece distributor that is virtually waterproof and will withstand the severe vibrations of a marine engine. The DUI is a complete ignition system in one simple unit. No external coils or ignition boxes are necessary! Just one 12 volt hot wire hooked up to the DUI is all you need to get your marine engine running with more power and torque.

Improved performance comes from our 50,000 volt coil and high dwell Dyna-Module. The coil allows spark plug gaps to be opened up to .055″. The increased dwell within the module makes the coil produce a longer duration spark. The combination of the two will provide the most complete burn of the fuel mixture possible. Performance is also enhanced from the super smooth advance curve tuned into the DUI. A special weight and spring assembly is hand fitted and dialed-in using a distributor machine for a precise timing curve that will match the specifications of your engine and boat.

**I take this to mean that you will need to run this unit on a Sun, Allen or King machine as to adjust the curve to your OEM specs, of which is never a bad idea!

The custom tuned advance provides instant throttle response and maximum power throughout the rpm range. Our Marine DUI is available in two versions. The Marine 7000 version is designed for stock to mildly modified engines that will not turn more than 7000 rpm’s. The Marine 10,000 version is built for high performance and racing applications that turn up to 10,000 rpm’s. Both versions are blueprinted and precision built by polishing, lubing and setting exact tolerances as they are assembled. The Marine DUI also has flame arrestors installed which distinguishes it from our automotive DUI’s. All distributors come complete, including the brass terminal cap and rotor and stock gear. Reverse rotation gears are also available for most dual engine applications. No matter what your boat is used for, cruising, pulling skiers or all out racing, we have a DUI to fit your needs.
Marine applications using Chevrolet EFI engines can also benefit from a DUI! Our one-piece unit comes with a 50,000 volt coil and high dwell 7 pin Dyna-Module. This distributor also allows plug gaps to be opened up to .055″. This unit can be used to replace the small EFI distributor and remote mounted coil. A plug-in adapter is included for the conversion to reduce wiring to a minimum.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Pertronix/Pertronix-Flame-Thrower-Marine-Billet-Distributors/2853256/10002/-1

Again, look closely at the words that I have highlited in bold font.

Features:Integrated patented Ignitor II technology with adaptive dwell control.
Upper ball bearing and extra long oil impregnated bronze lower bushing work together to reduce friction and high RPM vibration.
Adjustable mechanical advance with proprietary limiting functions permits multiple settings. Distributors are factory set with a performance advance curve and additional springs are provided for custom advance curves.

See ** above!

"DUI confirmed they are not SAE J1171 certified as they have not gone to the expense with the USCG process"

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...er-351w-ford-hei-vs-marine-distributor.html#b

I've not spent any time looking at the Hulltruth forums. In my opinion there's not much real life experience is to be had from that forum.

If you read that thread, member C1steve says;
"Marine distributors have mechanical advance. If you used a vacuum advance model, there would not be enough advance and power would be down. Also marine distributors have some spark protection..................."
Apparently this guy is not a mechanic.

Another member recommends Prestolite, of which use the poorly designed Hall Effect triggering!

Another member says;
What Steve said!. I believe vacuum advance is not used on marine engines mostly because marine engines are operating under greater constant load at cruise and apparently do not develop enough vacuum at those throttle openings for appropriate advance.
He is partially correct, but that is NOT the primary reason for NOT using an ignition system with vacuum advance!

Last edited:
Well I bought the marine Prestolite fo r$67 on ebay - at least its certified and I can add the pertronix conversion later if I want - at least the dizzy is brand spankin new and ALOT cheaper! the alternator is marine which is good news so we're officially approved now at last -

Back