Logo

model description confusion

60rocketman

Hi, I just bought a '60 Shell Lake Rocket with a 1966 Evinrude 40 hp Fastwin. I see other 40 hp described as Bigtwin and Lark. What is the difference? Are any of the repair parts interchangeable, points and condensers, water pump etc? Let me know,thanks!

??--------The " fastwin " was used to designate the 15 / 18 / 20 hp motors.-------------Pictures or model # of your 40 hp fastwin should be posted !

A pic is attached(I think). The model# is 40662B, serial# E01488. So this is a Bigtwin not a Fastwin. Curious that I see separate parts catalogs on e-bay for the bigtwin and the lark, which includes the model # of this engine. Do you know anything about the Lark series?

Attachments

• shell9.jpg
    shell9.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11
The ---LARK----Was simply the deluxe model with electric start and electric shift.-----------The electric shift scares most folks but they are very good and reliable !!-------------But you have to have the controls for it to make it all work.-------Amazing how these controls get seperated from motors when they are sold.

I think everything is there. The engine is mounted on the boat, all attached and connected. There is also what I think is the junction box which i assume has the solenoid and fuses in it. Great info, thanks!
shell14.jpg

Other opinions may vary.------------As far as I am concerned you should do a complete evaluation of this motor before spending any money.-------------Compression / pistons / rings / gearcase operation / fuel pump / caburetor / ignition system / generator.------------There might be a reason it has been sitting around

Good advise, for sure. If I was spending any more than the $300 for the boat, motor and trailer, I would have checked it out closer. But this is a "project boat" so we'll see what it is, and what it is not :). Taking the mans word it was running. . . . it was at a YMCA camp for 4 years unused so they are cleaning out the maintenance yard . . .

Some folks want to add a battery and a tank of fresh fuel.-----That is not the correct approach !----------If all checks out you will also need to replace the waterpump impeller before lauching the boat.

Right on! That is why I started asking about what engine this is and if any of the replacement parts are interchangeable... i can hardly wait to get the wrenches out! :)

Back