Logo

NS5B oil seal replacement

DanOverboard

Hello,

My 1996 NS5B started leaking a small amount of oil from around the prop, so seemed like a shaft seal. (This motor is used on the dinghy for my sailboat so it mostly lives out of the water and on a bracket on my stern rail)

I drained the gear oil and it was a bit milky but the gears and everything inside look fine.

I got the lower unit off and bearing carrier out and as far as I can tell the shaft bearing needs to come out (inward) to get to the shaft seal behind it. However, I can't figure out how to get that bearing out. I don't see any corrosion and I soaked it in liquid wrench but it just won't budge.

This is my first time doing this. Is there a trick to it? Is there a tiny puller that would fit in there to pull the bearing out?

Thanks,
Dan

Make sure you replace the entire seal kit. The o-rings for the cam rod are often overlooked.
Just drive the prop shaft seal out using a drift. You can use socket wrenches and a vise to press everything back together if needed.
Good time to do the water pump kit as well.

Cam rods? Is that the rod that moves up/down when you shift? Yes, I was planning on replacing those o-rings if that's what we're talking about... And also the water pump seals and impeller.

I can't remove the shaft seal without removing the bearing. Unlike the videos on youtube I've seen of other outboards, the shaft seal cannot be removed from the outer end of the shaft housing. (The outer side of the housing is cast shut.)

Is it okay to pound on the bearing with a drift? Seems like I need a puller like what you'd use on a clutch throwout bearing on a car...?

The 4/5/6 prop shaft seal and bearing can be knocked inward with a drift.
Yes, the cam rod has the shift cam on it.
Do the wp kit -- including the plate and cup; it will pump better and last longer.

Okay! Got the bearings and seals out/in. Used boiling water from a kettle to heat up the housing and it all came out without too much pounding. Put it back together using a socket as recommended and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!

New problem -- I want to replace the oil seal just below the water pump. (Labeled "oil seal, pump case lower" in the parts diagram) I can't figure out how to get the bearing and shaft out of the lower part of the water pump (labeled "pump case lower"). I can't imagine I'd need to pound on the end of the shaft?

Thanks

Back