Logo

Tohatsu M5A

wombil

Hey Guys,I am new here,please correct me if I am wrong.

The Pic is the coil assembly from a Tohatsu M5A that was last used by Noah on the ark I think.

I assume that A is the primary coil and that B is the secondary coil.
I t also looks like coil B is shot but I have been wrong before.
asset.php

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 120
Forget it. Points style ignition parts have been unavailable for decades, You might get lucky at an olde tyme NAPA.

I seem to recall someone here or on another forum stating that coils from eary OMC engines would fit and worked well.
Anybody know about this?

I have just gound some yamaha 5hp air cooled 661 parts on ebay they have coil points and condenser on the mounting bracket
Oh US Ebay
Might be interchangeable

i have a tohatsu 9b9. i also thought my coil was bad but after cleaning the points the spark came back.Try this first it could save you lots of time.

Oh by the way judging by the photo you have a primary and secondary winding all in one, this is B in the photo. I dont think A is a coil and the gap on the points seems too wide. So clean the points close that gap and without tightening the flywheel down you should be able to spin the flywheel enough to see a spark.

If your motor is the same as a tohatsu 9b9 5hp air cooled then i maybe able to help you out.I am in the process of trying to rebuild one.I love this outboard they made them to last.

If your motor is the same as a tohatsu 9b9 5hp air cooled then i maybe able to help you out.I am in the process of trying to rebuild one.I love this outboard they made them to last.

Hi 4 years later, the 9B9 is only air cooled upp to 2200 RPM then the water cooling goes in. I have a mint 9B9 except for the bushing between inner and outer rigg or how I am gonna explain it. When i'm benn surfing around, they say some parts from OMC will fit. I dont know what the difference is between B9B and B9A, some who do? Nissan name for this motor is NISSAN M5A2, no big secret there I guess. Other motor numbers are M4A 1974-1978. M4B 1978-1980. M5A 1976-1978. M5A2 1978-1983. I upload the mighty Owners Manual every 6 pages. And would be so happy if someone have an exploded view with parts numbers for this motor, or maybe a workshop manual? Cmon PLZ help a brother out! Here is the owners manual https://anonfiles.com/faYaN3x7u3/B9A_Owner_s_Manual_for_reference_pdf

You can get a Factory service manual for 1- and 2-cylinder 2-strokes from any Tohatsu dealer.
Part #: 003-21035-1
List Price (MSRP): $50.00

Hi and thanks for the information pvanv! If I want just a parts diagram with exploded view, does that's involves any costs. I'm poor and on on sick benefits here in Sweden.. Do you have time and will to help me with that? I think u can PM me, gonna check my settings.. And a bit embarrassing thing, call me stupid but the Owners Manual for B9A says gasoline to oil mixture is 20:1, does my brains fouls me when i calculate that to 5%?

Do u have alkylate petrol over there? I was under the impression that all engines runs better with alkylate petrol, less emissions (Ok I Drive a 2-stroke 70's outboard) but foremost carburetor and the extremely complicated fuel system stays clean and with less gunk and strange coatings. And the combustion is cleaner with less sot and clogging. Really a small problem, this engine is so simple, a briggs and stratton is a space ship in comparisons. why I'm Asking is because an old "know it all" boat-guru said that i should runs this engine on 93 Octan PON I gues u calls it super, its 98 Octan RON in Sweden. I guess he talked of experience, I have worked as mechanic at a machine rental depå with service, and som carbs had a white coating and sometimes it was like sand in the carbs of different machines, I guess those where powered by 95 Oktan RON fuel, regular in US, but here the 95 Octan always have 5% ethanol mixture and our 98 Ron Oktan, your's ~premium sometime have 5% ethanol, there*s no way to know, weird, its a mess, impossibly to know what u get from the pump, do u have ethanol in the gasoline in US to?

Jada jada jada, What I wanna know if it matters what gas i use on this engine, I've heard the petrol was better before. I'm I right about the 5% oil mixture, and does that applies to today's I guess better oils? Is its throw money down the drain to care about the fuel? Especially alkylate petrol?

And an edit to previous post: There no sutch thing as 9B9 =) B9B and B9A. pvanv, do u know what differnce is between B9B and B9A?

Last edited:
The M5A runs well at 50:1 fuel/oil.
Most gas here is 10% ethanol, but some stations have non ethanol.
No clue on those ancient models. The parts catalog for M5 is freely available.

Back