Logo

My 1994 3 cyl 60 hp Merc wont idle or start properly

Justin09

I have a 1994 3cyl 60hp merc outboard motor it only starts if i am engaging the throttle forward all the way while turning the key i have to keep putting the throttle forward multiple times until it actually starts. once i get it started it seems to be running fine until i bring it down to an idle then it dies out. i have changed the fuel filter and also the fuel line i have also sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner but to no avail. the carbs don't look dirty at all. the spark plugs have all been changed, after attempting to start it i looked at the plugs and the top is clean but the bottom 2 are fouled the very bottom plug is alot worse then the 2nd one. i have no idea what it needs any help to this problem would be much appreciated.

How long have you owned it ?------Are you saying you pump the throttle handle ?----Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over ?----Do you have an owners manual ?-----------Have you done a compression test?

I've only had it sence last spring. Yes I mean the throttle handle. Yes I'm also pushing the key in while turning it over. I haven't bought a manual yet and a compression test hasn't been done yet. Fairly new to the boating scene so still figuring things out.

Back