Logo

Operating AQ270 without trim motor - any problems?

DKaiser

Contributing Member
Volvo Penta 270

I need my boat off my trailer and put in a slip, but I have recently removed the trim motor.

1. Is there any issue lowering the outdrive by hand with the trim motor removed?
  2. Is there any issue operating the boat on the lake with the trim motor removed?

That is a mechanical tilt device correct? If so you will be spending alot of time turning the worm gear by hand to lower the drive. What is the reason you pulled the tilt motor? The tilt ram needs to be all the way up in order to operate it in reverse it releases the reverse lock mechanism when it lifts the drive.

Last edited:
If the lift motor is still working you can jump it directly from the battery you just reverse the leads to go up and down. Easy enough to test the motor just hold it down good as they do have some torque when you jump the leads.

Yes, mechanical drive.
The tilt motor was removed because it would not power the drive up. Trim motor was removed with the drive tied up. The drive moves freely up and down by hand unless locked out or tied up.

I just want to slip the boat, but don't want to cause any problems doing so with the motor removed

As long as it is locked down you can operate it safely. Have you tested the motor? just get a couple of long jumper leads with alligator clips how far is the tilt assy from the battery?

Thanks Kim. Thought so, just wanted to be sure those Swedes didn't have something going on in there that I didn't know about.

I already pulled the motor and took to a shop to test and rebuild

Volvo Penta 270

I need my boat off my trailer and put in a slip, but I have recently removed the trim motor.
There is NO power trim on a standard 270 drive. These are a "lift-out" device ONLY.
(the 270 T drive is power-trim)

1. Is there any issue lowering the outdrive by hand with the trim motor removed?
No...... the vice rod clutch will release/slip as the drive is pushed downward.
However, the latch hooks will NOT latch until the vice rod pressure plate has clearance between itself and the push rod's thrust sleeve.
Place a piece of soft wood between the two, and push the drive down gently. This will fully retract the vice rod.

1. Is there any issue operating the boat on the lake with the trim motor removed?
See above.

BTW, DO NOT operate the electric motor without the relay/micro switch system working correctly.
If the relays/micro switch are circumvented during electric motor operation, you may damage the cast iron clutch component.
$$$$$$$$$

Back