Logo

1986 60hp Simple Questions

FishinLite

Regular Contributor
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]SerialNo. 0A110380. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Mywinter project this year is to work on my fishing boat (81 Lund 16'Pike). I purchased it as a project 2 years ago, it had sat shrinkwrapped in a field for at least two years prior to my involvement.Installed a new battery. Check the compression and all the cylinderswere in high 120s or low 130s and within 5 psi of each other. Thestator was shot and the charge rectifier was toast. New parts wereinstalled. The wiring on the trigger was crumbling, so repair andshrink wrap was installed. The trigger checked out OK after therepairs. Fresh gas and it fired with some coaxing and ran fairlywell.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Anew water pump and I took it fishing. The hard starting didn't getany better with use. (Sea-Foam helps but isn't magic snake oil).After a year of tripping over the holes in the floor, boat repairswere the order of the day. The motor and controls came off the boat,so I work on the boat (new floor, wiring, replace old tired wood)could commence.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Nowthe motor is sitting on a motor stand. Since the motor was hardstarting and has a little high speed miss. Some shop type motor workis the order of the day. Carb cleaning is where I plan to start. Nowthe questions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]1.I was moving throttle the linkage that the controls would normallyoperate. It is spring loaded, but it doesn't return to the stop whenreleased. Should it? If so, some engine cleaning looks like the firstorder of the day....[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]2.I have an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to clean one carbs worth ofparts at a time. Those of you that clean carbs this way, what do youuse as a cleaning solution and for how long? What do you think ofDawn dish detergent and water?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]3.I was thinking of replacing all the fuel lines while I had the carbsoff the engine. I like to have all the part in a pile before I start.The OEM fuel line have no specs, just part number. I am looked for aspec (ID and OD) on the stock lines? AutoZone is has many to choosefrom at a much lower cost.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Allinput would be appreciated, outboards are new to me. [/FONT]:)

FishinLite, there are alcohol resistant fuel lines available for your application. Soap and water is not going to get the job done

Well I got out my ultrasonic cleaner,

20170221_105249.jpg

did some google research for a cleaning solution and came up with

20170221_110005.jpg

mixed it at 1 part simple green HD (purple) to 5 parts water.

Disassembled and cleaned one carb at a time for about 20 minutes in the cleaner, small parts were done in a glass jar beside the large carb pieces.

The small parts were taken out after 10 minutes and the carb pieces were turned.

Here are the results.

20170221_105100.jpg20170221_105134.jpg

The inside and the passages look the same as the outside.

Please look at my 1st question, above. I would still like some input.

Attachments

• 20170221_110005.jpg
    20170221_110005.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
The remote controls make that action unnecessary.

If there is a water hose going from that 3/4 inch plate under the power head to the fuel pump, remove it and block off the hole in the plate wit a 1/8 NPT plug. (That power head needs all the water it can get.) Trust me on this: I run these motors a lot.

Jeff

Back