Logo

290DP Double bearing box Screw

I don't recall having used the values shown on actual page #35 (pdf page #37) detail #3 for the steel bearing box (pre-A transmissions).

Look on actual page #52 (pdf page #54) detail #7.
While the diameter of the A bearing box is a bit larger, these values appear to be more accurate.

It is exactly like the preload on a truck rear pinion it keeps the bearing from chatter at high rpms especially with a large driveshaft. Even then for a ford truck the preload is between 15 and 20 inch lbs on the center nut depending on how big the bearings are. That is where I got confused earlier, I put posi gears in my ford pickup and the way you adjusted the pinion depht was to shim the inner bearing it was a real pain in the ass as you had to press the bearing off to put the shims in then put it all back together to check wear pattern on the ring gear. It is nice having two wheels forward on a slippery boat ramp tho.

Thanks Ricardo, I guess nobody proof read that manual for mistakes, just waiting for my parts and hopefully I can get on to the next step in this little project and my next update. Seems like the values are correct in the technical section on page

And Kim I for sure would have cooked them bearings so thanks for your persistance,
i hear you on the four wheels may not use it much buts it's handy when you need it.

Last edited:
Well an update, A late one but takes me forever to get parts and I was missing an oring so didn't bother with this for a while, I set the rolling torque value on the double bearing box using the values On page 171 of the online manual,
ended up being 1.75 lbs after adding a
005 thou shim and a 10 thou one, checked the gear back lash ( Dial indicator) and it was .006.5 thou, that's pretty close to max, so Ricardo would you have added a shim to tighten that up a bit?, the gear pattern seemed good as compared to the manual, I tryed to take a pic of it but didn't show up that well, I was using Prussian blue ( don't know if there better stuff out there ) well now I'm onto the lower gear seals ( prop shaft) it's going smooth so far using Ricardo's little puller, well a rougher version of it. Just need to get orings and seals and put it back together. Ricardo and Kim I want you to know how much I appreciate you guys taking the time to help people like me and others so thanks to you both
Kilwinning

Well an update or rather an other one, I posted last weekend and I hit reply and it disappeared, Ricardo and Kim I have made some progress since my last post.
i set the double bearing box preload to 1.75 lbs checked the backlash it was right around 0065 thou , that is close to the max will that change as the bearings get run in?
The gear pattern was pretty much what was shown in the book so I think were good there. I put it back together and put the shifter back in with a new seal and oring.
So now I'm moving on to the prop shaft seals.
Thanks again for both of your help, you both spend a fair bit of your time helping people and it is appreciated.

Back