Logo

290DP Double bearing box Screw

I'm replacing the drive shaft universals and having trouble with the screw holding the double bearing box together, I thought it was a T45
torx bit but it doesn't fit properly anyone know what that bit actually is.
thanks Kilwinning

Some people confuse the later DP drives with the earlier 290, so let's first make sure that we know which drive you have.

The 290 (if OEM) should have a RH thread cap screw with a hex drive socket head.
The double bearing pre-load (rolling torque) will be shim controlled.

If a later DP, this RH thread cap screw will have the torx drive socket head.
The double bearing pre-load (rolling torque) will be crush-sleeve (pre-tension sleeve) controlled.

In either case, this cap screw will be US NF, not Metric.

FYI:
Once the universal drive shaft female yoke has been removed from the main drive gear, the main drive gear can be pressed from the bearing box.
The gear will be pushed free from the 30207 bearing...... the 31307 bearing will remain on the gear's shaft.
This gives you a chance to examine the condition of bearings.

Make certain that you use the correct OEM service manual for the rolling torque value.
The early units require string-pull scale values.
The later units require inch pound and/or Newton Meter values.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick
the Tag on housing( Serial# 29500244H) The leg in question is behind an AQAD30a
It has the steel bearing box with that torx screw, I didn't get a chance to work on that screw, but my torx bit was slipping and I didn't know if they had metric torx or not so I was checking on that before I went any further, that and the fact the power went out.

Last edited:
Well an update, I got the bearing box apart and with the torx screw I should have the crush sleeve type, but it's the shim type, the bearings didn't feel as smooth as I thought they should so I pressed the shaft out.
Things I noticed, the bearings themselves are a little scored up, the races have marks on them and the inner race does not seem to have been installed up to the shoulder on the bearing box I can get a feeler gauge in between the shoulder and race ( never checked for how big the gap is) my questions are,

that race should be installed up to the shoulder?

if I install new bearings and races and install them up to the shoulder ( the outer one has no gap) other than the bearing preload will I have to redo the gear pattern or will that not change if reusing the shims and washer,

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 46
Get the bearing preload correct and use some gear pattern paint and see if the pinion depth changed. Then double check for proper gearlash.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll get new bearings and races and install them up to shoulders of the bearing box ,sounds like I maybe getting into uncharted territory with gear pattern and backlash.

Gear pattern is dependent on pinion depth and there are two types of shimming methods depending on the type of bearing box. Either the shims are under the front bearing pressed on the pinion gear or the shims are between the box and the housing were the four bolts hold it in the housing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-PENT-...ash=item1ebba48df2:g:BcQAAOSwAYtWJnY~&vxp=mtr
This type takes the shims with four holes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/875425-BEAR...ash=item51f3782ce5:g:h7sAAMXQWzNSoJ4X&vxp=mtr
This type the inner bearing on the pinion is shimmed prior to pressing the bearing on.

thanks again for the help much appreciated.
I have the bearing box with the shims under the front bearing, I'm just heading to my shop to have another look at that bearing box with mirror to see if that race was installed correctly it doesn't look like it's seated against the shoulder ( unless that's normal)

Well an update, I got the bearing box apart and with the torx screw I should have the crush sleeve type,
Not with the steel bearing box.

but it's the shim type,
Correct!

the bearings didn't feel as smooth as I thought they should so I pressed the shaft out.
Things I noticed, the bearings themselves are a little scored up, the races have marks on them and the inner race does not seem to have been installed up to the shoulder on the bearing box
That would be the outer race!

I can get a feeler gauge in between the shoulder and race ( never checked for how big the gap is) my questions are,

that race should be installed up to the shoulder?
Yes!
Had it not been, pressure from usage would have seated it by now.
However, the set-up would have changed resulting in gear damage.

if I install new bearings and races and install them up to the shoulder ( the outer one has no gap) other than the bearing preload will I have to redo the gear pattern or will that not change if reusing the shims and washer,
Baring that it was set-up correctly the last time that someone was in there........ if you replace the 30207 and 31307 bearings only, and adjust the rolling torque value, the only further adjustment may be the back-lash.

I used a local truck repair shop to have them press the large bearing off of the pinion gear.
I have never been able to press the 31307 bearing from the "drive" gear without sacrificing it.
The roller cage must be cut and removed, then the roller cage race can be removed via a fixture and hydraulic press!

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll get new bearings and races and install them up to shoulders of the bearing box ,sounds like I maybe getting into uncharted territory with gear pattern and backlash.
Don't be intimidated....... we can walk you through this.

Gear pattern is dependent on pinion depth and there are two types of shimming methods depending on the type of bearing box. Either the shims are under the front bearing pressed on the pinion gear or the shims are between the box and the housing were the four bolts hold it in the housing.
Kim, all due respect...... and I may not be following you.

In the image below, it shows the integrated all aluminum clamping collar/bearing box found on all "A" and later transmissions.
This BB will not interchange with the separate clamping collar/steel bearing box style transmission.
The "main drive" gear (pinion gear if Automotive) rolling torque value is typically pre-tension/crush sleeve controlled..
However, it can be made to work with the shims just inside of the seal surface washer...... but that's another story!

Rolling Torque value will be measured in Inch Pounds or Newton Meters via center rotational force.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-PENT-...ash=item1ebba48df2:g:BcQAAOSwAYtWJnY~&vxp=mtr

This type takes the shims with four holes
That type of shim is what we call a "gasket" style shim. These are used to control the main drive gear depth and/or back-lash ONLY.

This next image is the separate clamping collar/steel bearing box.
The "main drive" gear rolling torque value is shim controlled. The shim(s) will be just inside of the seal surface washer facing AFT.
They are NOT behind a bearing!

Rolling Torque value will be measured in String Pull and Scale via the OD of the bearing box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/875425-BEAR...ash=item51f3782ce5:g:h7sAAMXQWzNSoJ4X&vxp=mtr
This type the inner bearing on the pinion is shimmed prior to pressing the bearing on.

Again, all due respect....... there is no shim that involves the bearing being pressed on!
The shim(s) are captive just inside of the seal surface washer.
As the male yoke is tensioned against the seal surface washer, the washer (and it's control shims) come to rest against the FWD portion of the Main Drive Gear "shaft".
This is what controls and holds the tension that in turn creates the rolling torque resistance.

thanks again for the help much appreciated.
I have the bearing box with the shims under the front bearing,
Please explain and perhaps post photos!
I have over-hauled 100+ of these AQ series transmissions over the years and have never seen one of the rolling torque control shims underneath a bearing race or roller cage race.

With the steel BB, the main drive gear "depth" is controlled via circular shims that will be both in front of and behind the Steel Bearing Box "collar".
Shims AFT of the collar control the gear depth.
Shims FWD of the collar control and close the gap between the main case and the aluminum collar.

I'm just heading to my shop to have another look at that bearing box with mirror to see if that race was installed correctly it doesn't look like it's seated against the shoulder ( unless that's normal) [
Once you drive the old races from the BB, you will be able to see the seating shoulders.

That was my mistake looking at the diagrams it can be deceiving with volvo diagrams. It is the shim,s for the sealing washer on pinion I was looking at sorry.

I just drew this up to help explain how the shims (within the seal surface washer) control the bearing pre-load..... ( i.e., rolling torque value.)

The "A" or later transmission, will use a pre-tension sleeve (crush sleeve) placed between the two bearings.

Attachments

• Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 79
OK....... I made a change to my image as to include both shim control (Pre A transmission) and pre-tension sleeve/crush sleeve control (A and later transmission).

Attachments

• Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    Pre A main drive gear rolling torque shim control.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 89
Well thanks very much for that info.
There was one shim between the bearing box collar and trans housing and two under the seal surface washer thats all I have found so far ( don't have the steel bearing box out of the aluminum housing yet) do I need to take that out or should I wait and see.

I had the same prob with the PDS bearings determining which was fore and aft🤔 Got that done as per your directions. Hoping to get the motor back in this weekend.

I had ordered just the inner bearing, thinking that I could just replace that one as the outer bearing and race didn't seem as scored as the inner one, I will order the outer bearing tomorrow. ( Hopefully get it for the weekend)

Ihave not got the outer bearing off yet but when I do will see what's going on with that shoulder, to my eye all the teeth on the gear look good no damage
(I can get the feeler gauge between the outer race and the shoulder on that one but not the inner race )

i will be sure to pick your brain more as I start putting everything back together and reading your above info.

The rolling torque I can figure out, but when we start talking back lash and what not my eyes glaze over, but I'll look into that some more so I at least know what were talking about.

Thanks again to you and Kim for taking the time to help me out its much appreciated.

Well thanks very much for that info.
You are welcome!

There was one shim between the bearing box collar and trans housing
Yes, that controls the depth of the main drive gear into the two driven gears.

and two under the seal surface washer
OK..... those control the pre-load against the two back-to-back tapered rolling bearings thus creating the rolling torque value.

( don't have the steel bearing box out of the aluminum housing yet) do I need to take that out or should I wait and see.
In order to replace that O-ring, yes....... carefully remove it and save the shims.

I had the same prob with the PDS bearings determining which was fore and aft樂 Got that done as per your directions. Hoping to get the motor back in this weekend.

I had ordered just the inner bearing, thinking that I could just replace that one as the outer bearing and race didn't seem as scored as the inner one, I will order the outer bearing tomorrow. ( Hopefully get it for the weekend)
Of the two main drive gear bearings, the AFT-most bearing (the 31307) takes the greater load and will typically show more signs of wear!

I have not got the outer bearing off yet but when I do will see what's going on with that shoulder, to my eye all the teeth on the gear look good no damage
(I can get the feeler gauge between the outer race and the shoulder on that one but not the inner race )
Check the depth as to how far the feeler gauge will go in between this race and the shoulder.
I'm willing to bet that the feeler gauge is not going the full depth....... and that the race IS making full shoulder contact!

NOTE: you may find a small thin spacer (looks similar to a shim) just behind the 31307 race of which may explain the partial depth feeler gauge reading.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick

That is exactly what is happening to to the feeler gauge, goes in about half way. I did look in there with a little mirror but since I'm replacing that bearing would see when I pulled it apart. I'm ordering that bearing today and hopefully make some progress on my project this weekend. Im out the door at 4:00am so I'm not that motivated when I get home, sounds like your at her pretty early too

thanks again for your help

Thanks Rick

That is exactly what is happening to to the feeler gauge, goes in about half way.
I figured that is what may have happened.

I did look in there with a little mirror but since I'm replacing that bearing would see when I pulled it apart.
Yes.

I'm ordering that bearing today and hopefully make some progress on my project this weekend.
Keep in mind that the old 31307 roller cage must be clipped and removed so that the inner race is accessible.
Then, prior to using a bearing spitter and press, you may need to weld two small beads around the inner race so that the splitter does not slip off.
(been there/done that)
Heat produced from the welding will shink the metal, so be sure to press it out immediately after welding the beads to it.

When going back on with the new bearings, lightly polish the shaft and coat each surface with automotive Never-Zeez.

Im out the door at 4:00am so I'm not that motivated when I get home, sounds like your at her pretty early too
Yep...... I am up very early each day!

Last edited:
Just a quick update, Sort of I was having trouble finding the 31307 bearing but have found a source so it's on order, just waiting on it so that's where I'm at right now.
Kilwinning

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Richmond-Ge...ash=item3612de74a1:g:BjYAAOSwgZ1Xu1Zx&vxp=mtr
I used a pair of calipers to measure gearlash you just need to be creative. There are OEM manuals at boatinfo library that explain it pretty good. I replaced all four of the bearings and the wear pattern and gearlash was still within spec. I likely could have gotten away with the same crush sleeve but went ahead and put a new one in. And I used a spring type fish scale to get the rolling torque at around 3lbs pulling with a string.

Thanks Kim
Thanks for that, Im currently waiting for the 31307 bearing so when I get that I'll certainly be picking you guys brains ��

Well an update, got my new bearings, put the bearing box together torqued the screw to 55 lbs while turning the bearing box and checked the rolling torque. It started rolling around 10.5 lbs of force and then rolled around 7.5 lbs, did this a few times and it was pretty much the same. The book says 8.11 lbs.
Rick or Kim could you tell me if the rolling torque is calculated using the starting force or when it's actually rollling. If it is to high I'm going to order the shims, I was going to get a 5, and 10 mm one, any thoughts on the thicknesses? Im going to replace the steel washer as the seal surface looks good where the seal rides but the other half of washer is rusty. I did polish the seal surface and all other surfaces were good.
i borrowed a dial indicator to check the back lash buts that's on hold for now. Depending on what I do it will take another week to get parts.

Thanks Kilwinning.

Well an update, got my new bearings, put the bearing box together torqued the screw to 55 lbs
while turning the bearing box and checked the rolling torque. It started rolling around 10.5 lbs of force and then rolled around 7.5 lbs, did this a few times and it was pretty much the same. The book says 8.11 lbs.
OK...... as noted earlier, you have the steel bearing box.
As mentioned...... the rolling torque value is shim controlled, not pre-tension sleeve controlled. (shims will be inside of the seal surface washer)
The string is to be wrapped around the OD of the BB while the universal shaft is being held firmly in the bench vice.
The scale pulls on the string, and will give you a measurement of resistance in the form of "weight".

I make it a practive to never suggest values (torque specs, timing specs, clearances, etc) ..... there is just too much room for misinterruptation, misunderstanding, etc. It's always best if the owner verifies the specs for this!!!!!!
NO Seloc or Clymers manuals...... Use ONLY OEM Volvo Penta.

I will say that 8.11 lbs of string pull resistance sounds very high.

Rick or Kim could you tell me if the rolling torque is calculated using the starting force or when it's actually rollling.
I have always been more concerned about the value once actually rolling.
Make sure that the bearings are oiled!

If it is too high I'm going to order the shims, I was going to get a 5, and 10 mm one, any thoughts on the thicknesses?
The thinner shims are of more value because you can create more combinations when mixing them with the existing shims.

Reducing the shim pack = increased bearing resistance.
Increasing the shim pack = decreased bearing resistance.

Im going to replace the steel washer as the seal surface looks good where the seal rides but the other half of washer is rusty. I did polish the seal surface and all other surfaces were good.
You can remove (polish away) up to .005" with no issues.
Just make sure that you DO NOT leave any micro-scopic spiral swirl marks! (spiral swirl marks may cause the seal lip to pull or push oil past it)

i borrowed a dial indicator to check the back lash buts that's on hold for now. Depending on what I do it will take another week to get parts.

Thanks Kilwinning.

Last edited:
I thought you were using the crush sleeve? If so you need to get another sleeve and redo the rolling torque. I see 10-15 N or 2.2-3.3 ft lbs rolling torque. Put loctite on the bolt threads and tighten the bolt until you get the proper rolling torque. The bearing box shims is how you adjust the pinion heigth.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick and Kim,
I have a downloaded copy of the OEM, It says 3.69 to 8.11.
I was pretty sure it meant actual rolling torque so I'm quite high, I wasn't going to replace that washer but because I'm redoing the torque, it looks iffy at best so I'll replace it. The bearings were lightly oiled.
Kim some where back there I figured out I had the shim system, in the mean time I'll pull the shifter and reseal it. Anyways playing the waiting game again.
I appreciate all the help you guys give me,
thanks very much.

There may be a slight difference in the sealing washer if your gonna install a new one. It may change rolling torque value just by replacing the washer. I hate to keep harping but I believe your wrong of all the upper gearbox rolling torque values I can find 3.3 ft lbs max for the 290a with new bearings and 2.2 for used bearings. at 8lbs your well over twice spec and the bearing will just cook themselves rather quickly. Are you sure your not looking at neutons?

No worries Kim
I want to get this right, on page 36 of the Volvo repair manual it states that the torque values are 3.69 to 8.11lbs or 5 to 11 NM, this is for the bearing box with the shims for setting the torque value. ( which is the one I have) On page page 35 it shows the pre stressing torque as 3.69 to 7.38lbs, I'm getting confused, the run in bearing torque is 1.84 to 3.69, it seems on each page there is a different torque value.
on page 52 for the crush sleeve type they are the values you stated.
Its beginning to look like I should be going between 3.69 to 7.38lbs.? Any thoughts on that.
My values were already higher than the max,
im going to order that washer and a couple of shims and hopefully that will do it, the old one is not in great shape. The bearing box Is still sitting on my bench so I'm open to suggestions
This manual was the Volvo penta work shop manual so I figured it was right but now I'm wondering.
Thanks for taking the time answer my questions.

There may be a slight difference in the sealing washer if your gonna install a new one. It may change rolling torque value just by replacing the washer.
Yes....... none of these are machined exactly the same. What this means is that if you are working on a Pre-A transmission with the steel bearing box, when this seal surface washer part is replaced, the rolling torque value must be checked and/or adjusted.

I hate to keep harping but I believe your wrong of all the upper gearbox rolling torque values I can find 3.3 ft lbs max for the 290a with new bearings and 2.2 for used bearings.
FYI...... if Kilwinning's transmission has the steel bearing box, it will NOT be 290A or any "A" transmission!

at 8lbs your well over twice spec and the bearing will just cook themselves rather quickly. Are you sure your not looking at neutons?
Yes, and good question!

I thought you were using the crush sleeve? If so you need to get another sleeve and redo the rolling torque. I see 10-15 N or 2.2-3.3 ft lbs rolling torque. Put loctite on the bolt threads and tighten the bolt until you get the proper rolling torque. The bearing box shims is how you adjust the pinion heigth.

I think that the shims that Kim is talking about are the circular shims on either side of the steel bearing box "collar".
These shims provide 2 areas of control.

1...... on the AFT side of the collar, these control the depth of the main "drive" gear into the corresponding "driven" gears. This adjustment must be made after the rolling torque value is set!

2...... on the FWD side of the collar, these control the squeeze of the clamping collar.
We want just enough shim value to allow the collar to fully clamp the steel bearing box, yet allow the clamping collar to fully mate up to the main gear case.
You can over-shim, then lightly clamp the collar down, then take a feeler gauge reading, then either add/reduce the shim value so that when fully clamped, the clamping collar becomes fully mated to the main gear case.
The goal is to get the clamping collar to contact the main gear case, while also squeezing the BB.

A .003" squeeze is ideal!

No worries Kim
I want to get this right, on page 36 of the Volvo repair manual it states that the torque values are 3.69 to 8.11lbs or 5 to 11 NM, this is for the bearing box with the shims for setting the torque value. ( which is the one I have) On page page 35 it shows the pre stressing torque as 3.69 to 7.38lbs, I'm getting confused, the run in bearing torque is 1.84 to 3.69, it seems on each page there is a different torque value.
on page 52 for the crush sleeve type they are the values you stated.
Its beginning to look like I should be going between 3.69 to 7.38lbs.? Any thoughts on that.
My values were already higher than the max,
im going to order that washer and a couple of shims and hopefully that will do it, the old one is not in great shape. The bearing box Is still sitting on my bench so I'm open to suggestions
This manual was the Volvo penta work shop manual so I figured it was right but now I'm wondering.
Thanks for taking the time answer my questions.

Which manual are you looking at? Make sure that you are looking at info for the Pre-A transmissions.
The OD of the steel bearing box is smaller than that of the OD of the A bearing box (integral aluminum BB/clamping collar), therefor the string pull has a different torque advantage.

Also note that the rolling torque value for NEW -vs- Run-In (used) bearings is quite different!
For example:

the "A" bearing box for NEW bearings is 2.2 to 3.3 lbs string pull.
the "A" bearing box for Run-In bearings is only 1.6 to 2.2 lbs string pull.

But again....... you do NOT have the "A" transmission!!!!!

Well thanks again Ricarrdo for taking the time to help out. I am using the online version of the Volvo penta shop manual, I was going to use the old steel washer but because I had to do the rolling torque decided to use a new steel washer, the old one was not in good shape.
those torque values I quoted were for a steel bearing box and were included in the assembly instructions on page 35/36, these are obviously wrong , I looked at the technical section of the book and came up with these numbers for the steel bearing box 1.102- 2 .205 lbs and the run in numbers are lower yet, Thanks to Kim for being persistent. hopefully these are the right numbers ( Sound right?) I only ordered two shims maybe need more.

Well thanks again Ricarrdo for taking the time to help out.
I am using the online version of the Volvo penta shop manual, I was going to use the old steel washer but because I had to do the rolling torque decided to use a new steel washer, the old one was not in good shape.
those torque values I quoted were for a steel bearing box and were included in the assembly instructions on page 35/36, these are obviously wrong ,
Please post a hyperlink to this on-line version. I would like to look at it!

Back