Logo

Drive Shaft Socket

kwatts

I was looking for the size, part number, and place to find the drive shaft socket for a 1984 40 hp Johnson (1984 J40TELCRM ). I need to turn the drive shaft to loosen the pinion nut. I did not want to use a pipe wrench.
Thanks,
Kevin

Your not going to hurt the driveshaft using a pipe wrench my concern is you dont want to get any metal fragments into the roller bearing. Just lay it on its side on the bench and grab the shaft with a large vice grip or small pipe wrench. You can use the vice grips on the shaft to tap the shaft out after you remove the pinion nut. Dont grab it with the splines just around center of the shaft. Then lightly sand off any burrs after you install the pinion nut. I do it all the time!

I have those sockets.---------I have also seen them made from a scrap crankshaft.-------------Chop the bottom off and weld a suitable nut to it.

Thanks, I will try the pipe wrench. The bearing in the housing seems to be seized up. Any advice on that. I have gotten everything off except the pinion nut.

upper bearing I think. I think it is holding the housing tight. I cannot budge the bearing housing. I do not want to damage the housing since the part is obsolete. I have seen some on ebay. I am a little new to the gearcase. I have rebuilt the carbs and water pump on a 1987 40 hp. I just do not want to spend a lot of money paying someone to repair since it is so old.

Back