Logo

Mercury 60 EFI 4 stroke hard cold starts

rotus623

Contributing Member
Recently got a 2007 Mercury 60 EFI. Had it out 4 times and she seems to be a reliable engine. The previous owner said the only thing he did in the 3 years of owning it was change oil and water pump.

We took it for a test run, it started right up, and ran great for our test run. He seemed like an honest guy and didn't think the engine had any issues. I do know that it has sat for months at a time with ethanol gas in it.

I got all the old fuel out of the tank and put fresh fuel in it.

Next time I took it out it was about 40 degrees. Tried to start the motor without advancing the throttle, and it wouldn't turn over, but was cranking fine. Lifted the neutral idle lever, she started and if I backed it back down she stalled and quit. Let it warm up for 3 minutes at about 1500-2000 rpms, set her back to idle and idled perfectly. Gets out of the hole strong, runs WOT perfectly.

Next time out she started at one flick of the key.

Anyways, I ended up checking compression and got 180 in all 4 holes out of a cold motor. (These spark plugs are a B to get to) so I went ahead and put new plugs in. While I had the ignition plate off and spark plugs out, I went ahead and took the valve cover off and adjusted all of the valves.

Last time out same deal, had to convince her to start. It was 32 degrees out. We fished for 6 hours. After initial warm-up she started up all day without a single issue. Ran strong, felt great.

I am not sure when the fuel filters were replaced, but I am thinking that is a good place to start. Any suggestions or ideas guys?

Back