Logo

new starter for 351w - 9 tooth. Can magnets loose their strength?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
So was hoping to get motor started today but after replacing cables and swapping batteries, seems the starter is finished.

I think PO might have used an auto starter on it cos the only matching thing I can find is a Torino starter with the remote solenoid..

The boat is a 1975 sea ray 220 with a 351w..

Any ideas on a replacement and what other options I have?

This is a 9 tooth starter with 2 mount holes facing toward the rear of the motor - looks like this:

s-l500.jpg

I noticed when I had the thing apart the central unit didnt grab at all - as if the magnets had completely lost their effect? is this possible?

thanks bt doctor, ordered the sierra one - :) just curious if there are other newer design starters that would work, the ones that use less power cranking etc?

pmgr starter i mean - there are some going for 40 bucks on amazon..

Last edited:
wow thanks! great site for stuff - already ordered but will keep an eye on it.. hopefully the sierra starter I ordered also has the rubber seal on the actuator like this one:

sfd0025-1__86255.1471329621.jpg

Say NO to that old school starter motor. :mad:

Instead, look for a 5.8L Ford Marine HTGR/PMGR (I.E., high torque gear reduction/permanent magnet gear reduction) motor.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/218...69c695771a4ac617&hei=454&wid=454&op_sharpen=1

The armature spins approx 3 X's faster than that of the older Non-Gear Reduction units, giving these much more torque.
Your engine will spin faster, and with less Amp draw.

Last edited:
thanks yes i returned the old school thing and bought a pmgr marine unit - works great so far. is it true the 10 tooth starters also work/replace my old 9 tooth one?

thanks yes i returned the old school thing and bought a pmgr marine unit - works great so far.
Good...... you will not regret it.

is it true the 10 tooth starters also work/replace my old 9 tooth one?
Don't let the pinion gear tooth count confuse you. The starter motor's nose housing will accommodate the difference in the tooth count.
In other words, it will center the pinion gear right where it needs to be in order to properly engage with the flywheel's ring gear.

Back