Logo

Vindicator 200hp won't plane

dgreenlee28

I have a 98 Vindicator 200hp that won't seem to plane when at operating temperature. It runs great on the hose and will get on plane as soon as you take it off the trailer. Unfortunately, after running for a few minutes, it won't get back on plane. I've been through all the carbs and the plugs all look good. Compression is good, too. Any ideas????? My next step was going to be using an ohm meter on the stator, trigger coil, and ignition coils to check for possible broken windings.

Try pumping primer bulb while she's running, Next try a cylinder drop test,one plug wire at a time to isolate possible bad cylinder dropping out. As electronics get hot a component could be breaking down in the ignition system, Inspect coils for cracks, Are they getting very hot?

Took the boat out tonight. Ran perfect. Water temp 56 degrees and air temp of 61. I think it could definitely be an electrical issue when it's good and hot because it ran perfect last March, wouldn't get on plane at all during the summer, would get on plane once in the fall and then bog once I shut it off the first time and has now done good in winter. Makes me believe that the motor isn't getting hot enough during certain parts of the year to expand a broken winding somewhere. Does this seem logical to anyone? Or maybe it's not getting enough air when it's hot. Also, I tried pushing the key when it was bogging before, but it never made a difference.

Everything is pointing at an electronic issue,time for the ohm meter, When she gets hot have you tried a timing light on plug wires to find the possible misfiring cylinder? pull plugs and take a look

I have inline neon spark testers and a timing light, but I wasn't able to duplicate the issue last night so I didn't use them. The next chance I get to take it out, I'll try to make it miss and then I should be able to see which cylinder it's dropping.

Back