Logo

Converting 1986 4hp Deluxe from CDI to points

Dougbok

I am a new member and I have a 1986 Evinrude 4 hp Deluxe that I picked up some time ago on eBay. The seller "didn't know the condition" but it looked good in the photos. It turned out to be seized.
I probably should have cut my losses but I picked up another power head which didn't have the electronics but I figured I could switch everything over from the seized one. Although I never worked on this later model before I took my time and switched everything over but I'm not sure if I got it right. The power heads were interchangeable but not identical. I think the replacement may have been a few years earlier.
I wasn't getting a spark so I walked away from it for longer than I'd like to admit and just now picked up on it again. I wonder if I can switch over to an earlier 3 or 4 hp stator, flywheel, points and coils etc. This arrangement worked for years and was basically bulletproof. The CDI power pack and coil set up is costly to replace and tough (for me) to trouble shoot. Has anyone tried this conversion before? I have several old 60's and 70's 3 and 4 Johnson and Evinrude motors that I have picked up for parts or restoration along the way but I'm not sure if the parts will interchange. I like the gear shift and rubber mount isolation of the deluxe. Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks

Wow! Almost 600 views and no comments. I'm kind of surprised. Better that than the response to my other posting though. The "outstanding contributor" (forum classification not mine) suggested I take the outboard to the dump.

That's probably because you are asking if parts can be switched between unidentified motors 20 years or so apart in age. We probably don't know the answer. Better no advice than wrong advice.

All you can do is try swapping the parts. Without accurate ID on the new powerhead from what I am seeing for 1986 both the two 4hp blocks and cranks are different part numbers betwee CD ignition and magneto. The armature plates are completely different but not sure on bolt pattern and crank taper for the flywheel. You may very well have the points style powerhead on it now but you may need the later model flywheel and armature plate for the points.

If you do get it to work add a kill button it makes it real easy to restart if you dont mess with the throttle. The engine will restart with about half a pull on the rope. Also use a timing light to adjust the points. It is a little time consuming but well worth the effort especially for cold starts and trolling speeds.

there used to be recently on the net adds for aftermarket conversion kits, but they are no longer available. But its a lead maybe someone still makes them

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like the conversion may be impossible or more trouble than it's worth. I'll try to figure out how to troubleshoot the CDI setup. Having a dealer do it would quickly add up to a bill higher than the value of the motor.
BTW I didn't originally post model numbers because as far as I know all the 60's and 70's magneto 3 and 4 hp motors have interchangeable ignition systems. At least mine do. And a 1986 4 hp Deluxe is, well, a 1986 4 hp Deluxe.
Thanks again.

Back