Logo

200 series drive drain plug

Bob, if you are having trouble removing the 280 lower unit OEM drain plug, try using a hand-held Impact driver with a large straight-slot tip in it.

Use the Impact driver when re-installing the drain plug....... just a few mild blows...... not too hard!!!!!!!!
At the risk of marking the dip stick head, I have always used a small channel-lock plyers on them! (I'd rather it be tight than pretty!)

Be sure to install new O-rings at both the drain plug and the dip stick.

I use a large flat tip screwdriver and a cresent wrench. You can push in hard with the screwdriver and turn it with a wrench. Install new o-rings at least every other time you pull the plug or dip stick.

Thanks Rick and Kim... Have used both methods over the years. I should have been more forthcoming. I've gotten to an age where the arthritis and tendonitis in my hands is starting to impact my "wrenching", especially since removing and replacing the drain plug is an activity for an often bitter cold (and damp!) day. :-(

I use a large flat tip screwdriver and a cresent wrench. You can push in hard with the screwdriver and turn it with a wrench. Install new o-rings at least every other time you pull the plug or dip stick.

I too use a very large flat tip screwdriver, but even then I find that the slot in the screw still gets damaged a bit, so I have a spare or two on hand just in case. A hex solution would be much better, IMO.

Kim, the impact driver ensures that the plug is fully seated and that it will not back out or come loose due to vibration, etc.
(I've seen several over the years whereby the plug had backed out)

It will work just as well for removal.

Rick,

On my hand impact driver, the biggest flat blade is still undersized causing some degradation of the screw slot every time I use it. I've shopped for a bigger flat blade for it to no avail. With my hands the way they are, the simultaneous hold/twist/align motion is "difficult". BTW... I agree that installing it with a light tap to seat it is the way to go.

Found one w/allen head online for an E-TEC (Sierra 18-4255). It's very inexpensive.. Will see if it fits. Could not find specs on thread, and for the price, not worth any further research. Stay tuned...

Why re-invent a wheel that works well?

I have never come up against an AQ series OEM drain plug that could not be removed with the use of my hand-held imact driver.

Suggestion: get yourself a hand-held impact driver and several of the correct sized straight slot bits for it!

BTW, most all threads on these drives are US NC threads....... not SAE nor Metric.
Only a few are Metric!

Last edited:
Why re-invent a wheel that works well?

I have never come up against an AQ series OEM drain plug that could not be removed with the use of my hand-held imact driver.

Suggestion: get yourself a hand-held impact driver and several of the correct sized straight slot bits for it!

BTW, most all threads on these drives are US NC threads....... not SAE nor Metric.
Only a few are Metric!

Have owned and used a hand held impact since I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" back in the day... however... with my hand issues its very difficult for me to use.

Home Depot <$2
bzHMyckMjfGedQXET3tYkic_MMQwHaRgTV8cdB59UgE78DAxOMIETygpQnMQjfX0XsEEf7XXJdk856z_vHR05zPjLEgaXyV1d3pZMPSgFYi7HEjkAXUsVAtpTcfcUgOu1qZWqFWr-fFZfXkPs16eel95BIHXS1MmiX79kAQPwTcsp0FXxCsPrYVuf9-UnWPzkWz6pNnTQk5U1NRobfqLN6-lsBCtJ0UCk2p1v3XH93JmOq0P-63RHOiKKaCdrz8rdvE5Z954CUR3OwJRENPT0n6_wmdPda0BiOu9_x-mZnhxqbxfWaQI0xE7_WaKCgAWBcU1NNvlxDCMIkWFmuivdO4FeRqqMc6AcrkF7pwuBW7rCpXloYiRD1YhT7mS2EgIjH6GEVPWSn0lW4FFb-lE5_Sq37LAs1UcIFPYbtkJflbkZuukZtZNEsT9gD1k1phVefJi_xMBL4IVen1gcJfogsWmbL9r5VMqivqwOb_V_BRbjO-mEjrJNwyMihwq9HeEKICuVUrmYtdlSwbgFb6qdiWLy4_KL-F_msxPNEynzAZ2PTBzPIlt93zmJ_BlQy6F4PIwR4PG1fRLBkAPFd5_JilHFB8cE0mGOyfoqYH2cSqu8cA7UNuQJQ=w540-h959-no

It will stick out a little, but who cares?

I don't know..... don't know if I can tolerate loosing 0.001 MPH!!! LOL Should work well with the appropriate washer.

Found one w/allen head online for an E-TEC (Sierra 18-4255). It's very inexpensive.. Will see if it fits. Could not find specs on thread, and for the price, not worth any further research. Stay tuned...

I'm interested to know if this worked or not. Please share once you know!

I got it today.... soon as the weather breaks, I'll get someone to break the existing screw loose and give it a try.

Ran out of time and could not wait for the last of the old oil to drain, so I just stuck in the nylon one and tightened it finger tight. Next warm spell will finish draining, refill drive and finish the job But first I'll have to mod the dip stick so I can see the oil level...ever since they eliminated the cross hatch on the dip stick, its almost impossible to see the oil level. The drain screw I took off had an nitrile O-ring on it, so I'm likely to use the nitrile one in the kit.

Back