Logo

Default 260 Intereceptor Starts only in Reverse

Boat was working fine, installed a new starter that had me attach to a different side of the solenoid, now boat starts and runs in reverse but as soon as you go to neutral or forward the ignition dies....thinking that it has something to do with the neutral safety switch. Would changing the starter to the prior side of the solenoid hurt anything? Just a coincidence?

Default Re: 260 Intereceptor Starts only in Reverse

the NSS and the ignition (feed to the coil) are independent paths and shouldn't interact.....not sure what you mean when you say 'prior side of the solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by makomark View Post
    the NSS and the ignition (feed to the coil) are independent paths and shouldn't interact.....not sure what you mean when you say 'prior side of the solenoid.
    Thanks for the response, of the two main terminals on the solenoid it was attached to the left side, the instructions that came with the new starter had me change to the right side terminal. That was what I meant by "prior"

Ayuh,..... Those 2 posts on the starter mounted solenoid are Not interchangeable, they're Very different,....

Are you talkin' 'bout the starter mounted solenoid, or the slave solenoid,..??

Why was the wirin' changed,..??

If you just changed the starter, I truly doubt it's a neutral safety switch,....
    Any Grease is Better,... Than No grease at All....

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Ayuh,..... Those 2 posts on the starter mounted solenoid are Not interchangeable, they're Very different,....

Are you talkin' 'bout the starter mounted solenoid, or the slave solenoid,..??

Why was the wirin' changed,..??

If you just changed the starter, I truly doubt it's a neutral safety switch,....
    Thanks for the response, the slave solenoid, not the starter mounted solenoid, now I will double check to see if I misunderstood the new starter wiring instructions and applied them to the slave solenoid, when they meant the starter mounted solenoid. Thanks.