Logo

Honda BF50 lower unit shift rod seal and fuel pump seeping

AndyM in Ohio

I have a 2001 BF50--runs fine, but --two items:

1) Found water in gear oil mid-summer. Drained (some metal, not a lot), flushed, refilled with fresh oil, and ran fine rest of summer. I pulled the lower unit to work on now. I pressurized the unit (8-10 psi) and the only leak is the shift rod seal. Should I simply replace the shift rod seal ? I installed a new water pump /seal kit two seasons ago. I don't plan to keep this boat for many more years. Or, should I have the lower unit rebuilt ? It makes no odd noises, shifts fine, and seems OK.

2) Have noticed a gas occasionally seeps from the layers of the fuel pump. It's not a lot, and it's not all the time. I wonder if simply tightening the 4 bolts & nuts will be sufficient (at least worth a try ?) , or do I need to get a rebuild kit, or just replace the pump.

Any advice appreciated.

When the gaskets get wet with fuel they usually swell and seal themselves. Just tweaked past hand tight should be proper torque,alot of fuel pumps are plastic,be gentle

When the gaskets get wet with fuel they usually swell and seal themselves. Just tweaked past hand tight should be proper torque,alot of fuel pumps are plastic,be gentle

That makes sense. I will be gentle ! THANK YOU (won't be able to report on outcome until spring, however. Can't wait !)

I would change the seal on the shift rod. its not that tricky or expensive & it sounds like you caught any potential problems in good time.

That's my "gut feeling", too. I do have a good local service dealer, and of course, they go by the book and offered to rebuild the lower unit for a fair prive (from what I've seen) . If I have any trouble, I will do that, but first, I'll change that seal, run it a while, and check the oil. A few hours running ought to confirm if OK or go to rebuild.

THANK YOU for your thoughts !

The seal is only that accordion looking rubber. It does not take much pressure to make it appear to leak. Make sure that the shift rod is smooth and has not developed any grooves...which could be causing the problem. There is a lot of shifting that could be done over 16 years and the shift shaft could get worn.

If the fuel pump leak does not stop when you tighten the screws, then you should replace it. There is no rebuild kit.

Mike

THANK YOU, Mike. You are right--it actually leaked at way below 8 psi--more like 3 or 4. I saw some post about difficulty in removing the round "boss" (as I'll call it) the the seal install into--and mine looks to be pretty set, too. I didn't budge in the initial attempt to pull it. With all the info online, I bet I can --eventually-get it done. But, the $350 quoted for my local dealer to do a rebuild is looking good. Will cipher on it, but may punt.

I'll handle the fuel pump, fur sure.

THANKS FOR YOU TIME AND THOUGHTS

Is the leak around part 17 or part 12? I was assuming that part 12 is where it was leaking. If so, that should come off easily by itself. It is only help on with spring retainers.

You should not have to remove part 17 unless there is a leak around it. As you can see, there is only an o ring around it. There is no o ring or seal inside of it. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2001/BF50A1 LRTA/WATER PUMP/parts.html

If you need to get part 17 out, then, of course, remove the retainer #18 first. Apply a generous amount of pb blaster around the part and let it sit.

Then gently pry on it and at the same time you can use the shift shaft to help pull it up. The shift shaft has the split pin (#40) that is under part 17 and that can help you pull it up.

Mike

Back