Logo

bf 225 high oil pressure alarm

ccarson

would like to solve this without changing the sender which is under the head. diagnostics say high pressure oil alarm. starts after about 5 mins of running. happens more times over 3000rpm. willing to short out the sender so as not to change it. high pressure is not as critical as low pressure in my book. any ideas? 2006 bf225 300hours

First, let us know why you think the oil pressure is too high. Did you get a code 26 by shunting the service connector? If so, I think that is telling you that the pressure is too low on the high pressure side of the oil flow.

Did you recently change the oil and filter? If so, was it an OEM filter and was it the 10W-30 oil?

If you really do have oil pressure that is too high, you need to consider other causes like a blocked oil passage or an oil pressure relief valve that is stuck. If either of the latter is the issue, then you are in for some serious problems down the road. There may be other causes that I can't think of. Hopefully others will know.

i will be changing oil and filter today. i only plugged in the computer and read the codes, which tells me it is a high oil pressure. i have not cleared the code yet but i get a new one every time.

OK. Just be sure that the computer readout is not telling you that you have low oil pressure on the high pressure side. To me, that is the more likely scenario.

Also, when you change the oil, closely smell it for any indication of fuel in the oil or that it has been "burnt", i.e. overheated.

OK. Just be sure that the computer readout is not telling you that you have low oil pressure on the high pressure side. To me, that is the more likely scenario.

Also, when you change the oil, closely smell it for any indication of fuel in the oil or that it has been "burnt", i.e. overheated.

oil is spotless but i put some rotella to get running one day and now it might be haunting me. "any oil is better than no oil" i say.

Yikes - Isn't Rotella an oil for diesel engines? Don't know much about it, but not likely suitable for marine gas engines.

Many, many, many years ago when I worked in my dad's garage, he would often substitute automatic transmission fluid for oil, run the engine cautiously for a day or two, then drain it out. He claimed that the detergents in the transmission oil cleaned out all the gum and gunk in the oil passages. After seeing with that stuff looked like when it was drained certainly demonstrated that it worked. Never tried it on a marine engine, but just a thought.

Yikes - Isn't Rotella an oil for diesel engines? Don't know much about it, but not likely suitable for marine gas engines.

Many, many, many years ago when I worked in my dad's garage, he would often substitute automatic transmission fluid for oil, run the engine cautiously for a day or two, then drain it out. He claimed that the detergents in the transmission oil cleaned out all the gum and gunk in the oil passages. After seeing with that stuff looked like when it was drained certainly demonstrated that it worked. Never tried it on a marine engine, but just a thought.

yes I'm a diesel guy with diesel oil, i have done the tranny oil rinse on old v8s just for a few minutes to clean out some sludge but wouldn't recommend longer because of the low viscosity. so if the correct oil fixes this alarm i will change my bad habits and do everything by the book, haha.
if it doesn't its just a free pass for any oil goes.

problem solved: changed oil and filter. used rotella to get on the water one day because i ran out of 4 stroke oil. whats the big deal? i guess i have been wrong all these years when i said the motor doesn't know what kind of oil you use. or was it a bad filter and i was always right about the oil. we will never know for sure but i don't have to change the sender or worse.
thanks for all the help.

As an aside, I live in an area (Chesapeake Bay) where many boat owners store their boats for six months or more each year. I've had two different marine shops tell me that once one of these larger outboards are out of warranty, they switch over to SAE 25W-40 oil. Typically it's the Mercury marine brand. They believe that it gives better residual lubrication, especially to the thrust bearing and rod bearings. Even though I've never let my engine sit for more than 3 months, I switched over to the Mercury 25W-40 at about 1500 hours.

I don't want to start yet another "oil" discussion on this forum, but just thought I would pass that along.

Back