Logo

1967 Evinrude Lighttwin 3hp Ratio

CaptainA

Hey all! I recently picked up a 1967 3 HP evinrude lightwin at a swap meet. The sticker on the motor says a 50:1 mixture, which I did, and it seemed to run fine. But, I have heard recently that some people are running it on a 24:1. What do yall think? Also, another question. The owner converted the motor to be able to run off of a portable tank, would the built-in tank still work do you think? Thanks!

Stick with portable tank,50:1, Built in tank was bypassed for a good reason we must assume,It's questionable operation?

It was just bypassed because the previous owner wanted to hold more gas. Do you know the capacity of the built in tank? Thanks so much!!

It is easy to switch back to the tank on top of the motor.--------------No roller bearings so 24:1 is a good choice.

Pull the tank remove the valve with the strainer and fill it 1/4 full of water and pour in a large tube of BBs and slosh them around for a couple hours. pour the water out and use a magnet tip wand to pick out the BBs. rinse the BBs and dry them and then put them back in with some motor oil and give it another scrubbing. You can get a brass pipe plug at most any hardware store to plug the hole while cleaning and test for leaks. Then just get a new strainer if the old one cannot be cleaned.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OMC-Joh...ash=item43f4984a5b:g:VZYAAOSweWVXfqk0&vxp=mtr

Those motors had a spot for the optional fuel pump to run off a bigger tank.------------OP never mentioned that the tank on top of the motor is junk !---------Might be very clean and easy to switch between the 2 styles of tank.

Nobody said the tank on top was junk, an empty steel tank is usually a victim of Possible rust contamination,we were just providing preventive maintenance instructions

Back