Logo

Honda BF2 white smoke when increased revs

stephennelsonmd

Just took my Honda BF2 out of storage to use on my dinghy. Just bought it used (but barely used) last spring. It has been in storage for the summer (Florida summers too hot to use the boat). I changed the oil (don't think I spilled any) but when I started the motor at first it seemed fine but then at higher revs it starts to smoke - white smoke. Any ideas? Someone mentioned something about the position you store the engine. maybe some oil spilled while in storage. if so what do I do to fix the problem?

White smoke is usually a sign of excessive fuel mixture, possible gummed up carb,tank,filter,and lines. A good carb. overhaul might be needed

I've always believed, and all of my experience indicates that WHITE smoke is burning oil. It may be from being stored wrong and oil seeped into the cylinder. If so, and all else is fine, it should so away after being run a bit. If it persists, then the next thing I would do is decarb the engine with SeaFoam or Yamalube Ring Free to loosen up the rings and decarbon the valves.

Test the compression on cylinders if smoke does not go away,plugs out,ignition disabled. Chawkman read some of similar threads below about white smoke,many different opinions, Very interesting???

Back