Logo

Model Number?

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
Was given a 1966 80hp Johnson. The model is V4AL-18C. Can someone tell me what the AL-18C stand for? The V4 is self exploratory. Also, is this the same outboard as my 1966 Evinrude Starflite?
Thanks

V == 90 degree V shape
4 == 4 cylinders
A == Alternator
L == Long shaft (20")
18 = The number designating the year = 1966

V4A-17 = 1965
V4A-19 = 1967
etc etc

The "C" is a factory run number/letter of no consequence.

What Joe said is true. But there is some hidden meaning also. The "A" does mean alternator, but the rest of the story is that it also is electric shift and has battery ignition. A manual shift is V4S and has magneto ignition and no alternator (DC generator was an accessory) . Also, the trailing "C" would mean something if there was a mid-year change. In that case, it would indicate the change, only important if you are ordering the part(s) affected by the change.

First year production of JOHNSON models often started with the number 10-----------------First year for the V-4 was 58 with # 10 , thus 1966 becomes 18.

fdgator just answered my next question on the S. Am I assuming correctly the Johnson V4AL-18C and the Evinrude 80683 are the same except for the motor cover?

There are some wiring differences as well but mechanically they are the same. Others will know more but I am pretty sure the powerhead, and gearbox are the same.

fdgator just answered my next question on the S. Am I assuming correctly the Johnson V4AL-18C and the Evinrude 80683 are the same except for the motor cover?

Same motor, different hoods and different remote controls. Evinrude controls were push button shift, Johnson were single lever throttle/shift combined. But the controls are completely interchangeable. All wiring at the engine was the same. Evinrude used a different method of indicating mid-year changes. They specified the serial number the change became effective. Johnson assembled all of the large motors for some years, Evinrude assembled all the small ones. I personally witnessed green Johnsons coming off the line at Evinrude's Milwaukee plant.

Back