Logo

1996 40 hp 4 cylinder issues?

tnpete

Bought a 1996 40 hp for cheap. Guy had it listed as parts motor. So went to check it out. Engine was clean and looked great. Got it home mixed up gas. Hooked a battery up and hit the starter. It fired right up, though ok got a good engine for a great price. Did a Compression check all 4 hit 126. The boat I had it on needed some work. Plus the trailer axle needed bearings. So did not put it in the water for 5 months. Got to the water with it, fired it up. Ran great, backed out into the river. Put it in gear, and took off up stream. Steering was a little stiff but usable. After running around 400 yds, engine started cutting out. Backed out of it and ran good, back wide open and ran about 400 yds again. Then turned to come back to the truck. Engine dies and I just use the trolling motor to get back to the truck.
Primer bulb was tight the whole time. Plugs looked good, Gas was fresh.
Just to be on the safe side, I did rebuild the fuel pump. I have had a few that got pin holes in the diagram. So picked up a kit and did that. Next trip out, engine did not run as good at idle. But I had swapped it over to a tiller handle by then. And had to adjust the idle with the tiller handle being added. Got it going and headed up stream. Ran a mile all was good. Shut it down and fished about 15 minutes. Started again and headed up river more. Got about 2 miles, with lots of smiles.:D Motor was running good. fished the mouth of a creek. Then started back down stream. Ran about 3/4 mile, started cutting out again. So backed off to about 3/4 throttle. Ran better but open it back up and runs for a few minutes and starts cutting out again.
I'm sure its fuel or electrical related.:confused: But can't figure it out yet. Guessing next guess its time to clean the carbs.

Pete

Was fuel tank flushed,cleaned of old fuel,If not all the gunk from old fuel is now in your fuel lines,primer bulb,fuel pump,and inside of carbs. Was an open air gap spark test done yet ? How long was engine sitting idle with old fuel in carbs.,tank,lines?

Back