Logo

Gear oil problem

Poepoe3

I check my gear oil today. I took the top plug out to see if the level was correct. When I cracked the top screw it started to flow out and it was a light brown color. I have seen that this probably means that there is water leaking in the lower unit. I wanted to get some opinions on other things it could be. If I need a new seal kit how much are they usually and how hard are they to change out? Thanks in advance!

Milky color is usually the key after it's ran. Drain all the oil into a pan and give it a day to settle out. You'll see if you have water. You might even see water coming out when you open the bottom drain plug, if indeed there is water in the LU. Once the results are in, you can go from there.

Got a model # ?? As far as drain plug screws go, make sure you only take out slotted head screws, not Phillips head ones.

Got a model # ?? As far as drain plug screws go, make sure you only take out slotted head screws, not Phillips head ones.
18802a is the model number. I took out the flathead screws no philips head. When I took those off I didn't see any o rings or gaskets.

You should have 311598 gaskets under those plugs. Take a pick and see if they are stuck in the housing or not.

I believe that is the right seal kit you can double check the part numbers here. Be sure and replace both of the drain/fill plug washers same part number and I would pressure test the gearbox first before splitting it apart it should hold 8psi air pressure for 45 minutes. Do not put more pressure than that you risk blowing out a seal.

Just when was that oil last changed? If it has been a long time, don't be freaking out unless you see actual water. A tiny bit of water mixed with the oil is not abnormal. The seals in that motor are good at keeping the oil in, but not as good in the other direction. That is why the owner's manual tells you to change the oil as part of a regular maintenance program.

Just when was that oil last changed? If it has been a long time, don't be freaking out unless you see actual water. A tiny bit of water mixed with the oil is not abnormal. The seals in that motor are good at keeping the oil in, but not as good in the other direction. That is why the owner's manual tells you to change the oil as part of a regular maintenance program.
I just bought this motor. I reckon it's been a while since it's been changed . I'll drain it and let it sit a day and see if it has water in it!

Ok I drained the oil and let it sit for a day and there is no water seperated. Could this just be old oil with a little water in it. I am about to put more gear oil in it and water test it this weekend

Yes I think they are in the slot where the screw goes. Does anybody know where to order some new ones for a 1968 evinrude fastwin 18hp?

Just take it for a whirl and bottom drain the gearbox the first few times out. When you get back flush the engine and let it run out of fuel and let it sit overnight in the running position. Just pull the bottom drain plug quickly put it back in. If no water comes out your in fat city. I keep a oil can of gearoil handy and just squirt oil into the upper hole to top it off.

Back