Logo

LM318 Starter

lmar206

Hi Everyone, thanks for the awesome source of help here! I recently replaced my intake manifold gaskets and carb with the help on this forum. You guys are the best!

My old boat's starter gave out, it looks like they're easy enough to get online, but the issue I'm worried about is 3 teeth got knocked off the starter, and I'm wondering how much of an issue this is going to be. Do I need to try and get in there to fish them out?

Thanks!

Those teeth could be in the starter itself, Pull starter and inspect entire flywheel for broken teeth. A magnet might come in handy.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the awesome source of help here! I recently replaced my intake manifold gaskets and carb with the help on this forum. You guys are the best!

My old boat's starter gave out, it looks like they're easy enough to get online, but the issue I'm worried about is 3 teeth got knocked off the starter, and I'm wondering how much of an issue this is going to be. Do I need to try and get in there to fish them out?

Thanks!

Did you loose teeth from the starter motor pinion gear, or from the flywheel ring gear?
If from the ring gear, you will need to pull the engine, then the flywheel and have the ring gear replaced.

As for the missing teeth, they should stay put down low.

Inmar206, what caused the teeth on starter to break off? Misalignment,weak starter drive gear teeth,Internal mechanical binding issue inside of engine,wear&tear??

The engine flooded and i was probably a little too anxious in getting it restarted. The engine I'm sure is original to the 69 sabrecraft and was neglected for a number of years. I took it to a place here in Seattle and they rebuilt it and it works great. The flooding issue is still happening, so i'll go through the forum and see if there's some archive info on what to look for.

thanks everyone!

Back