Logo

1960 Evinrude 75 HP motor update

Jnicholes

Hi Everyone.

I havent been on the forum for awhile because I havent been able to work on my boats motor for months. As I said awhile ago, I was getting spark from the coil secondary, but nothing to the spark plugs. Today, I installed a new distributor cap and spark plug wires on a hunch I had. Now, I was able to get spark to the spark plugs! My multi meter did not show it, but I DID get my hand shocked on accident! (I will be careful next time.) That means now my motors problem, not being able to get spark to the spark plugs is FIXED. Now I am going to work on restoring the rest of the boat!

I want to thank everyone who helped me on this forum. Thanks so much!

Jared

Hi There!

The motor should run, but I cant test it until I get a large enough bucket to put the motor in, so it has some water for the pump.

I still have a lot of questions about the boat and restoring it. I need to do the following:

Fix cracks in the hull

install carpeting

Install seats

Fix gauges

fix kill switch

And that's it! I will ask questions as I go along.

Thanks for all the help!

Jared

Hello!

I do understand that I should hear the motor run first, but there are many factors that won't allow me to do that. The main factor is that we are moving and are prepping to move, another factor is that the bucket I fill with water to test the motor completely broke, and the closest lake is frozen over. I just need a nice large bucket to put it in, THEN I can test it. I am not planning on doing the other stuff until I move anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Jared

Hello!

I do understand that I should hear the motor run first, but there are many factors that won't allow me to do that. The main factor is that we are moving and are prepping to move, another factor is that the bucket I fill with water to test the motor completely broke, and the closest lake is frozen over. I just need a nice large bucket to put it in, THEN I can test it. I am not planning on doing the other stuff until I move anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Jared

Your going to need something bigger then a "bucket" to test that motor.

Hi Everyone.

I havent been on the forum for awhile because I havent been able to work on my boats motor for months. As I said awhile ago, I was getting spark from the coil secondary, but nothing to the spark plugs. Today, I installed a new distributor cap and spark plug wires on a hunch I had. Now, I was able to get spark to the spark plugs! My multi meter did not show it, but I DID get my hand shocked on accident! (I will be careful next time.) That means now my motors problem, not being able to get spark to the spark plugs is FIXED. Now I am going to work on restoring the rest of the boat!Jared

That is strange! Normally, if spark is available directly from the main coils terminal... BUT... not from "any" of the spark plug wires or distributor cap, that indicates that the Bakelite rotor is shorting out to the metal shaft upon which it is seated.

Hello!

@joereeves, I think I know what happened now, thanks to what you said. I think the Bakelite Rotor was fine, but the distributor cap was damaged where the rotor touches the spring that leads from the coils secondary. That part was damaged when I looked at it, so I think the rotor was shorting on the metal shaft, not getting to the spark plug wires. THANKS so much!

@SuperT, I am aware I need a larger bucket for my motor, Last bucket I used was a large black garbage can that was large enough. Thanks!

Jared

Hello, The distributor cap was damaged where the "rotor touches the spring" that leads from the coils secondary. That part was damaged when I looked at it. Jared

The rotor does not touch the spring... if yours does, the carbon brush is missing. Notice that the end of the spring consists of a small round hole in which the carbon brush is retained. The brush will last forever... however if the spring alone is riding upon the metal business end of that spring, sparks will fly and the spring will wear rather quickly.

The spring and the brush comes as a unit and is part number 580291, cost is about $25.00. If you need this part and have a problem finding it... I have one left in my remaining stock.

I just glanced in one of my old price books (1983)... it listed for $2.15 back then.

Hello!

Thanks for the info. on my old distributor cap, the brush was actually missing in full. I didnt think that was the problem, so I ordered a whole new distributor cap, which actually came with the brush. That was lucky! Well, I learned something new today! Thank you.

Jared

Back