Logo

totally stumped 4 STK Yammy

Troutmaned

I have an "02" 60 HP Yammy 4 stk. It runs great, but it's hard to start. I've had the carbs rebuilt & it runs as smooth as can be. However about the only way to start it is to put it in neutral & give it a little throttle ( just enough to feel the cable "tighten up" it will start every time! If I run it for just a little while " enough to get the motor warm & shut it off, it will start almost instantly. Let it cool off for 10 or 15 minutes-- won't start unless I give a little throttle in neutral-walla instant start. I've put additive in the gas, complete new gas line & water separater. It's a 4stk T 60 very low hours. What can I do next??

Maybe adjust the cable/idle up a little. It may have stretched a tad and you need to take up the slack. However I'm not an expert but that's my 2 bobs worth. Clem.

Cables do not stretch.

If the carbs are your problem.....

This carb set up has auto primers for the start up so there is no choke to activate.

My experience is that sometimes these carbs are impossible to get clean if fouled. I have left theses carbs in an ultrasonic cleaner cooking for 48 hrs and they just were not right.

When they get like that I replace them. If the primers are bad, they are almost the cost of the complete carb.

Sorry, Not what you want to hear.

Not familiar with enrichment solenoid. Is that the thing that hooks up to the carb linkage with an adjustable rod that mounts in front of the carbs? I've not messed with it yet. It looks like the rod going to the carb linkage has an adjustment on it. I thought maybe I could get a few more RPMs. When it starts it will idle at 400 to 500 RPM & die. When I start it after running a while- shut it off & start it right away ( which it always starts & idles around 900 RPMs) Did I mention that once started it runs absolutely great. Gets good gas mileage too. How could the carbs be bad when it runs this good ? I adjusted the idle up once & it went right back to 400 RPM, but that was before I adjusted the throttle cable. Thanks guys for any help. troutmaned

Try some seafoam in fuel tank, As chris said in thread #4,they don't clean up very well, Pull one carb. off and take a look inside.

Back