Logo

Look what I found, a Distributor.

In my boat is a "71 LM318(A?B?C?), standard distributor (with points). While cleaning the engine compartment I found a distributor setting on top of the fuel tank just forward of the engine compartment. It is not new, it is used. I was not familiar with this type of distributor so I researched it online and came up with HEI. The only numbers I found on it are: 1103606 and 5K16. I could not cross reference them to a distributor on line. I have been interested in changing to electronic ignition and now I have found this thing. So any feedback on this thing and whether it is for my engine or not is appreciated. Aso, if it is compatible, it looks like the coil is embedded in the cap. Do you remove and reinstall the coil when replacing the cap?

HEI Distributor 2.jpgHEI Distributor 1.jpgHEI Distributor 3.jpg

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... The HEI's were a Chevy distributor, so I donno's it's gonna fit yer Chrysler,.....

It's also an automotive distributor, with a vacuum canister, so it ain't marine spark protected,.....

That is an automotive unit for a GM Chevy engine, and will not work with a Chrysler Engine.
As Bill said, vacuum advance is not only illegal in an enclosed engine bay, the advance curve is incorrect for a Marine Engine.

Back