Logo

92 6hp Evinrude E6RENM / Shifting to forward kills engine ?

Straightshooter

New to the forum, my first thread ever. My 6hp starts and runs good, put it in forward it kills the engine, put it back in neutral it starts right back up. Put it in reverse works fine, go back to forward it kills the engine. I put shifter in forward and turn prop manually cw with plugs out and its turning engine fine, seems to be working right. Put in neutral it spins freely, in reverse turn ccw its turning engine fine. Seems like shifter and lower unit is working. Thanks in advance.

Have you messed with the carb lately? Try turning the slow needle out ccw 1/8 turn at a time and see if it helps? It is allways better to run the engine a tad rich. They are real touchy it may need a good carb rebuild. If you rebuild the carb do yourself a favor and rebuild the fuel pump as well and replace all the fuel lines in the engine.
Make sure the compression is acceptable and the spark jumps a open air gap of at least 3/8 inch brite blue snap. then you can focus on fuel.

Have you messed with the carb lately? Try turning the slow needle out ccw 1/8 turn at a time and see if it helps? It is allways better to run the engine a tad rich. They are real touchy it may need a good carb rebuild. If you rebuild the carb do yourself a favor and rebuild the fuel pump as well and replace all the fuel lines in the engine.
Make sure the compression is acceptable and the spark jumps a open air gap of at least 3/8 inch brite blue snap. then you can focus on fuel.

No but it does have a slight bogg to it when throttle up slowly like it needs some tuning. I bought this motor from a guy who used it as a kicker for his sail boat. He bought it new but said its not been started in12yrs. I put new water pump and plugs and been running it for 2yrs now.First one to turn a screw on it. I do need to rebuild the carb and replace all fuel lines. Is carb rebuild difficult ?

I checked the compression, it had 110 psi on each cyl and the spark was sharp blue on each plug. Going to adj on carb tomorrow. Is their a good rule of thumb for adj carb?

slowly out until the engine coughs the slowly in until the engine stumbles then half way between those two points. turn the needle 1/8 turn at a time and wait for the crankcase to stabilize. Then check the hole shot quickly go from slow to fast if it hesitates add a little rich counterclockwise until you get a nice smooth throttle up.

Also check engine sync. there is a mark on the throttle cam the carb should just begin to open when the mark passes center of the roller. to be accurate clamp a straightened paperclip in a alligator clip then clip that to the shaft for the throttle butterfly that will tell you exactly when the butterfly begins to open.

Do you let the engine run out of fuel between uses? When you get home put it in a barrel of water and start it up and when the thermostat opens up disconnect the fuel line and let it run out of fuel. Then your all set for the next outing.

I checked the compression, it had 110 psi on each cyl and the spark was sharp blue on each plug. Going to adj on carb tomorrow. Is their a good rule of thumb for adj carb?

Testing spark by using the spark plugs doesn't do the job properly. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on that model with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! A reasonable adjustable spark tester can be purchased usually in any automotive parts type store. Have both spark plugs removed when doing the test.

Thanks joe for the proper way to check spark. My first time working on small outboards, i can understand why a good marine tech is in high demand. Joe does the screw nob on end of steering handle adj engine sync or idle? Im confused on proper way to adj s/s needle,engine sync and idle. Its running in forward now thanks to Kimcrwbr1 advice on adj the s/s needle and checking arrow in the middle of roller. I really appreciate everyones help.

The knob is the idle stop adjustment on the end of the handle. Engine sync is the roller adjustment did you test it on the water yet? It is best to take it out and run it for about ten minutes at WOT then go back to slow and dial in the slow needle in forward gear. You should be able to slow the engine down to a crawl in gear and the rpm should increase some in neutral. Always adjust the engine with a load on the prop. If you do alot of trolling adjust the slow needle a tad rich it protects the engine from running low on oil. After trolling for long periods be sure and blow it out good before putting it on the trailer just run it WOT for a extended period. Even fresh water has alot of minerals and silt be sure and flush it when you get home and let it run out of fuel.

Haven't tried it on water yet, going to take it out next sat. trying to catch some crappie on lake Guntersville, ill adj on the water just like you said, because that's for sure where engine problems are going to show up. Thanks again kimcrwbr1, ill give you report on how she's running.

Back