Logo

Needed: RH Distributor Crusader 5.7

StephenSBS

I'm looking for a new, used, or salvaged RH (Right Hand) distributor for a Crusader 5.7 MPI (2001 - 20016), or complete engine (RH 5.7 MPI). The original part number from Crusader is RA107045. Unfortunately, Crusader no longer offers a RH rotation distributor for a 5.7 MPI and the original vendor (Mallory) stop manufacturing/supplying them to Crusader. As a result, there are no aftermarket vendors carrying the distributor.

Link to new distributor no longer manufactured.
http://www.marineengineparts.com/crusader-ra107045-distributor-5-7l-right-hand.html

If anyone has one, has parts to one, or knows someone who has an old one lying around please send me a message. Depending on price, I'm even willing to purchase a whole engine (RH 5.7 MPI) as long as it includes the distributor.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen

Your MPI dictates that you need an EST ignition system.

Are you certain that the camshaft is chain/sprocket driven, and not twin gear driven?

If chain/sprocket driven (camshaft rotates same as crankshaft), a RH rotation SBC will require the down-load bearing support within the distributor housing.
If twin gear driven (camshaft rotates in the std direction), a RH rotation SBC can use the std LH engine distributor.

In either event, both engines rotate the distributor in the CW direction.
The difference is the up-lift force -vs- the down-load force caused by the camshaft gear cut.

Your MPI dictates that you need an EST ignition system.

Are you certain that the camshaft is chain/sprocket driven, and not twin gear driven?

If chain/sprocket driven (camshaft rotates same as crankshaft), a RH rotation SBC will require the down-load bearing support within the distributor housing.
If twin gear driven (camshaft rotates in the std direction), a RH rotation SBC can use the std LH engine distributor.

In either event, both engines rotate the distributor in the CW direction.
The difference is the up-lift force -vs- the down-load force caused by the camshaft gear cut.

Timing Chain driven Counter rotation drives the distributor in the opposite direction.

Timing Chain driven Counter rotation drives the distributor in the opposite direction.

Chris, all due respect....... regarding the SBC engine, I know of no SBC oil pump that is able to pump oil while being driven in the Reverse of standard direction. This means that the oil pump must be driven in the CW direction (as viewed from above) with either rotation engine.

While the RH Reverse Rotation engine's camshaft (chain/sprocket driven) may be driven in a CW direction (viewed from flywheel end), it's the reversed helical gear cut that continues to drive the distributor shaft in the Std LH Roation direction, of which also drives the oil pump in the Std LH Rotation direction.

In other words, this reverse helical geat cut is what allows the distributor and oil pump to continue rotating in the standard direction.
(this gear cut difference also changes the shaft's up-lift force to a down-ward force)

With a twin "gear" driven camshaft, the RH Reverse rotation engine camshaft will rotate in the std LH Rotation engine direction....... hense there is no need for the reverse "drive" and "driven" gear cut at the cam and distributor.

In the event of a 4 gear drive system (no contact crank gear and cam gear with two idler gears) the cam follows the crankshaft rotation just as with a chain/sprocket drive.

For example....... Mallory offers both a LH and RH Rotation engine YLM624 AV and BV model.
Each uses the same centrifugal advancing system rotating in the same std CW rotation.

The AV uses the washer above the "driven" gear to reduce the friction caused by the helical gear up-lift force.
The BV incorporates an upper thrust surface to reduce the friction caused by the helical gear down-ward force.

So.... I'm thinking that the OP's delima is in finding an EST system that has the upper thrust surface as well as the oposite helical gear cut.

Last edited:
Chris, all due respect....... regarding the SBC engine, I know of no SBC oil pump that is able to pump oil while being driven in the Reverse of standard direction. This means that the oil pump must be driven in the CW direction (as viewed from above) with either rotation engine.

While the RH Reverse Rotation engine's camshaft (chain/sprocket driven) may be driven in a CW direction (viewed from flywheel end), it's the reversed helical gear cut that continues to drive the distributor shaft in the Std LH Roation direction, of which also drives the oil pump in the Std LH Rotation direction.

In other words, this reverse helical geat cut is what allows the distributor and oil pump to continue rotating in the standard direction.
(this gear cut difference also changes the shaft's up-lift force to a down-ward force)

With a twin "gear" driven camshaft, the RH Reverse rotation engine camshaft will rotate in the std LH Rotation engine direction....... hense there is no need for the reverse "drive" and "driven" gear cut at the cam and distributor.

In the event of a 4 gear drive system (no contact crank gear and cam gear with two idler gears) the cam follows the crankshaft rotation just as with a chain/sprocket drive.

For example....... Mallory offers both a LH and RH Rotation engine YLM624 AV and BV model.
Each uses the same centrifugal advancing system rotating in the same std CW rotation.

The AV uses the washer above the "driven" gear to reduce the friction caused by the helical gear up-lift force.
The BV incorporates an upper thrust surface to reduce the friction caused by the helical gear down-ward force.

So.... I'm thinking that the OP's delima is in finding an EST system that has the upper thrust surface as well as the oposite helical gear cut.

Got it.

FYI I have never taken a Chain Drive Counter engine apart. I have removed them for repower.

Me too, what did you ever figure out?

I was having trouble figuring out the distributor rotation and part number for my right hand (reverse) engine. This video does a great job of explaining it: https://youtu.be/7lvUgYv-GEc
I have 1990 7.4s, right and left hand. Both distibutors are the same part number since both camshafts rotate in the normal direction. The right hand engine uses a gear set instead of a timing chain so that the crank turns right hand and the cam turns left hand. You just attach the spark plug wires in the opposite sequence. On some of the newer non-GM right hand engines, the camshaft rotates in the reverse direction and you need an opposite gear on the distributor.
Barry

<p>
around 1996, GM introduced the vortec SBC to the marine world and a few other changes as well....one being that GM would no longer offer a RH version...PCM and MP still wanted them (RH engines) so they used a chain drive which requires a different distributor - which only gets more complicated with the HVS...to have a RH HVS, the gear needs to be cut 'backwards' (to match the gear on the camshaft) and the thrust washer needs to be relocated...and with the cam position sensor, it would require some machining (assuming there is enough stock in the distributor body to support this mod). I've never had a 'factory' RH HVS unit in my hand...my guess is the non-GM design cut some corners and had service life issues...and making the part NLA is one 'solution'...if anyone has one, I'd be interested in some more detail...</p>

Back