Logo

connecting the tach

kperk4

I have justfinished replacing all the butchered wiring and splices under my dash. Replacedthe fuse block, and switches. I didn’t do a good enough job of tracing andlabeling my tach wires and I’m in need of some help. I’ve reconnected 3 of the4 wires the battery,ground, and light. But the gray signal wire is not to befound. The tach was working fine before I unwired it.
There areonly two bundles of wires coming from the rear of the boat. One has the fuelsender, bilge, anchor, aireator, batt.hot, batt.Neg., they go to a multi pinplug under the dash.
The secondbundle goes to the shift control box (SCB). The SCB does have the tachconnection in the front but it was not used. There are no wires coming out of theSCB going to the underside of the dash. There was a small black resistorlooking component in the old fuse block wiring but my local boatdealer/repairman said that was probably a noise suppressor for the hummingbird.
Question how can my1992 70hp Johnson get a rpm impulse fromthe stator to the tach without going through the SCB?

Second questionhow do the dash lights get energized when there is no appearent wire going fromthe key switch in the SCB to the dash?
Third questiondoes anyone know the real purpose of the black resistor looking component.
I haven’topened and looked into the SCB yet (it’swarmer in the house) and I’m hoping one of you will have the magic answers.

Not familiar with a 1992, but it is usual that there would be a grey tach wire inside the control, going to the plug. Why don't you make it easy on yourself and get a tach cable/plug?

The wire for illumination goes to your running lights switch.

Back