Logo

Default Short shafts to long

Hi all. Fist post and I hope this is the right place to post it.
    I have a 15hp johnson that I'm wanting to convert to a long shaft. I have found a leg extension with drive shafts and bolts. I know i need to extend the water pump pipe. What else do I need? I have seen that there are two different inner exhausts. One long and the one I have on at the moment for the short shaft. Can i use the short exhaust with the long shafts or will I do damage or won't fit? At times I may want to run it as a short shaft if I go away with a mate fishing inland in his tinnie.
    Thanks all for your help

Default Re: Short shafts to long

The inner exhaust tube stays in place.---------No need to be concerned about that item.

Thanks for your reply. I have a 78 johno and after talking to the outboard guy on face book he stated there was a good gain in changing the old exhaust to the tuned exhaust from a later 86 year 15. This is my plan but I don't want to have to change the exhaust when I chanel the leg back to short. Thanks again

Face book mikanic is confused on this issue.-------Best not to listen to him.------And you have to pull the powerhead off to change the tuner.-------There is only one good tuner on them and your motor should have it !!

I under stand what you are saying but my motor was a long shaft originally and was converted to short before I got it years ago. Now my use has changed from running in a narrow shallow river to being a auxiliary motor on a off shore fishing boat. This exhaust may have been changed to the shorter type when converting to short shaft. I know the 86 9.9hp has the same exhaust as mine has currently and the 15hp has the tuned exhaust ( Pn 0330439 short shaft) if the old exhaust is the best for my motor why did they change it to a tuned unit in the 80's? If I can pick up a bit of extra power to push my heavy fiber glass boat back to the ramp if something goes wrong while out wide for a few $$$ I'm all for it

Cant you just put a better kicker motor bracket on the fishing boat and just lower it down further?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Bracke...BYKsqP&vxp=mtr
    It takes a nickle to go first class!
    If it aint broke dont fix it!!

I guess you do not understand that the exhaust tuner is not changed in this procedure !!