Logo

Throttle issue

mindset

Hi all, I have recently bought a little 17ft halfcab (1980 circa). it came with a Johnson V4 115hp 2 stroke outboard (believe to be the same era). When we took it on the water test, it ran like a dream. In saying that, I did notice that the throttle didn't come on straight away once past halfway. The boat had been sitting for a bit due to lack of use. Once it was warm, the motor didn't miss a beat.

I've recently taken the boat on a couple of other trips and also noticed that the throttle was doing the same. Over the New Years weekend, I packed the family up and headed to the dam. The same thing happened, though this time after tubing for a bit (2hrs), the throttle wouldn't go past the halfway at any stage, even though I had the handle down all the way. I took the cover off and checked that everything was opening from the throttle cable (seemed to be), The butterflies seem to open on the carbs. I looked at the governor, though it seems to working too. Dirty Jet in the carb perhaps?

So a bit stuck here. Not sure where to look. With fresh fuel, new fuel filter, I'm not convinced that it's dirty fuel, but can it be getting flooded? I do have problems starting it as I seem to flood it. I'm new to boating, so I feel that's a time thing with that motor for me to get it right to start. Or is it? I'm running a 50-1 fuel ratio as advised.

Anyhow any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Any pictures of the " governor " on this motor.--------------When a motor sits for a while and a new to you motor it is a good idea to clean the carburetors.--------Also a good idea to do maintenance on the water pump too.

Was old fuel left in tank from who knows when? How long has engine been sitting before you acquired her? A little more history might help. Old fuel might have made it's way to carbs. clogging and gumming them up, After trying to start her,pull a few plugs to see if she's flooding. What is your starting procedure?Are you priming bulb till firm,setting choke,advancing throttle

Time for some preventive maintenance. New plugs, rebuild the fuel pump and carbs. replace all the fuel lines in the engine. check compression and spark gap with a open air spark gap tester. Change the gearoil and the washers for the drain fill plugs. Put grease in all the zerts until fresh grease squishes out. Anxious to see the governor also give us the model number.

Back