Logo

200TXL76; Johnson OUTBOARD Need a mechanic

bluegill

I am taking my motor home today after 2 weeks with a mechanic, without it being fixed. It cost me and I have the same problem; it does not start. A new starter has been installed but the mechanic says it needs "other parts" (something about no spark .or not enough spark) that are not available anymore.

Informational: I bought the motor as is and have not seen it run, but i paid very little money so I am willing to spend some money to get it going. First thing that was done was a compression check and the mechanic said it was ok. Numbers were around 117-120 in all 6 cylinders.

I live in Stockton California. Suggestions are welcomed.

Finding a good mechanic for that motor could be a challenge stay away from any marinas. It would not be that difficult to determine if the parts are readily available but you need to know what it needs first. CDI electronics has the proper procedures if your willing to spend the time you will need a volt ohm meter and a DVI adaptor to do a proper diagnostic. Being a 40 year old motor most mechanics dont want to spend the time. In general if it has good compression and the gearbox is in good condition it likely has good life left in it depending on available parts and would it be cost effective.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes the mechanic did comment on cost effectiveness but it did not stop him from "paying himself". I did ask him to give me a written report on the diagnostics performed. I plan to show this report to another mechanic and see if they are willing to work on it and/or for another opinion.

Just a note: This engine does not appear to have been mistreated, outwardly anyway. Good looking antique.

Again..Thanks

call wrights marinine in lodi.....they work on fish and game boats. i live in sacramento, and the drive is worth it for quality, honest work. 209-333-7855

Thanks crankbait, I appreciate you giving me that information. I will contact them or show them the results of the last mechanic and see what happens.

bluegill in Stockton CA

Back