Logo

Help ID'ing Johnson

newt68

Just bought a Johnson outboard and need help determining age and HP.

Freeze plug number is J3063959
There is a tag that reads Model JW-13 Serial 1653677

Thats about all the info I have. A quick search on the model said 1957 3hp, I think it is way newer than that.

Sorry this is the only pic's I have at the moment.

Last edited:
I believe we are looking at a 6 hp model.----------!966 to 1979.--------Pictures / colour of the powerhead will help.

Sorry, could also be a 70 / 71 model.---------These were very good motors and the same parts for all those years.---------Only electronic ignition was added in 76 and later models.-----Start by removing the flywheel for inspection.------Post a picture of the 2 coils.

For completeness of the thread here is the original info I provided on this motor, that somehow got deleted.

When I searched the model number is said it was a 1957 3hp model. Can someone explain how the model/serial would be a late 60's early 70's motor?

Tag info
Model JW-13
Serial 1653677

Simple those tags are easy to change from motor to motor.------Do you not believe that the motor is as described above ?

Great observation, That's thinking outside the box!! I hope wildlife and game aren't watching or the state police,actually i wouldn't know i'm a salt water guy

Back