Logo

Marine Power 454 fuel pump issue?

captscottc

I have a 31 Hatteras with twin 454 Marine Power engines both new crates and installed in 2014. They currently have approx 160 hrs on both. The issue I'm having is my starboard engine has had problems since installation. The engine will spin but not start. The company that sold/installed the engines finally came out and found a wire was off of the fuel pump. So after a few months it happens again. It won't start and it's a PIA to get these people out. So okay, I am assuming another loose wire, BUT what this engine has always done when it IS running is after a running (10 minutes to 2 hours) at idle and in gear, when I give it throttle to get on plane the engine will immediately die. Then it is very hard to crank IF it even cranks at all. The last time it did this (4weeks) I had to putt home on one engine. Upon inspection, there is no fuel being delivered to the carb. Therefore I assume a fuel delivery issue (duh). Possibly the wire is loose yes, BUT what about the re occurring issue of it dying when given throttle after a cruise around at or just above idle? :confused:

Have fuel pressure tested on starboard side and recheck fuel pump wiring,positive and ground. On some systems if oil pressure is not satisfied fuel pump will not engage

Thanks johnnygfr. I'll def try it. What about the issue of it killing when I "throttle up" after I idle in gear for 10 minutes getting out of our community or for a long idle in gear cruise? It will shut down and take forever to re start OR not start at all.
Thanks again in advance

when I give it throttle to get on plane the engine will immediately die. Then it is very hard to crank IF it even cranks at all. The last time it did this (4weeks) I had to putt home on one engine. Upon inspection, there is no fuel being delivered to the carb. Therefore I assume a fuel delivery issue (duh). Possibly the wire is loose yes, BUT what about the re occurring issue of it dying when given throttle after a cruise around at or just above idle?

Ayuh,..... Yer lackin' in details here,.... What carb,..?? What ignition,..??

Obviously, it's lackin' fuel, or fuel flow,.....

I truly doubt it's a wirin' issue, as the fuel pump wouldn't pump, at all, if it were,....

Is there a fuel filter,..??
Has the fuel filter's contents been examined to see if it's fulla gas, or other crap,..??
Was whatever the carb is, rebuilt when the long blocks were swapped,..??

What is the vintage of the original motors, ei: the accessories used on the new long blocks,..??

Back