Logo

Bf15a bogs down over one third revs

K1W1

Hi all, my 2000 bf15a won't accelerate over about one third of the rev range. Have cleaned fuel system thoroughly and to the best of my knowledge there are no blockages or leaks. Thermostat seems to be operating correctly and no sign of overheating.
I have searched threads and used compressor to blow through all carb orifices with jets etc removed. All seems to be ok.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. K1W1

Start with the basics first,compression test, An open air gap spark test,followed with fuel diagnostics.K1W1 try a cylinder drop test, pulling one plug wire at a time or place a timing light on each plug wire to see if they are all firing. Try pumping primer bulb when this issue arises,this would tell you if it is a fuel restriction or a possible weak fuel pump.

Hi johnnygjr, thanks for your reply.
I tried the cylinder drop test and it reacts the same way, bogs down about a third of the way up the rev range, idles fine.
The open air spark test was fine on both cylinders.
I don't have access to a comp. tester but will look into getting hold of one.
During the last run up I found that pulling the choke out slightly while it was bogging down made it rev more or less evenly to the limiter, any ideas?
Pumping the priming bulb had no effect.
Thanks

Agree with racerone. The fact that pulling out the choke some makes it run better is a CLASSIC indicator that it's trash in the carb or, possibly, the jet tube is cracked and needs to be replaced.

These little carbs can be frustrating to to get cleaned out properly if you're new at it. Honda sells a book....Marine Carburetion Manual....that can get you trained real quick. Worth the money for us DIY types. I bought mine AFTER I was successfully cleaning these professionally and I still learned a ton of stuff I didn't yet know.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all your info.
Pulled carb apart again (about the eighth time!!!) probed and poked and blew out and then did it all again.
IT WORKED and now runs great.
I'm off fishing now. Cheers:cool:

Eighth time? Yep, that's about AVERAGE without the manual. The motor cycle techs usually do it in four tries or so and the stone cold newbies can take that puppy off 16 or 20 times.

Glad to hear you got it.

Thanks everyone for all your info.
Pulled carb apart again (about the eighth time!!!) probed and poked and blew out and then did it all again.
IT WORKED and now runs great.
I'm off fishing now. Cheers:cool:

Hee hee. And thanks for the follow-up!

Hey all, I was cruising through Jo-Ann's fabric store the other day looking for something to fix the zipper on my guitar bag. I came across these things that look like spools of thread but they are actually spools of wire for stringing beads. I ended up buying two spools. One spool of 24ga. wire and one spool of 28ga wire. Each spool cost me $2.49 and holds 40 yards of wire.

PERFECT FOR CLEANING THE HONDA CARB FUEL PASSAGES.

Thought you might like to know.

I came across these things that look like spools of thread but they are actually spools of wire for stringing beads. I ended up buying two spools. One spool of 24ga. wire and one spool of 28ga wire. Each spool cost me $2.49 and holds 40 yards of wire.

PERFECT FOR CLEANING THE HONDA CARB FUEL PASSAGES.

Thought you might like to know.

This deserves its own thread. Thanks for the thought!

(I used single wire bristles form a wire brush, but it still took me four tries (and replacing the jet tube) before the motor was humming.)

MF

Back