Logo

Mercruiser 7.4 MPI closed cooling system with raw water in oil pan help!

Epico

Hi everyone,

I rebuilt my two Mercruisers 7.4 MPI Mark VI engines a month ago, they are both closed cooling system including manifold (except the elbows), since rebuilt I noticed that the port engine was always showing fine bubbles coming out the exhaust through the sterndrive while the starboard engine show no bubbles whatsoever (the way it should be). apart from the fine bubbles it also has a minor missfire only at iddle but ran fine.

This weekend while doing maintanance, I notice water in the oil stick (about 2 qt got out of the pan) I only went out for a 15 minutes ride at no more than 2,000 rpm. I changed the oil and spark plugs and ran the engine at 1300 rpm (in neutral) for 10 minute and no signs of water following the mercruiser guidelines to save the engine for water intrusion.

Now, I have had my fair share of water intrusion issues over the years and I have managed to find the causes, however, this time is different as the water in the oil pan is RAW WATER, which means that is not coming from internal parts. Exhaust shutter flappers are new as well.

I pulled the spark plugs and all cylinders were dry, however, I test I do every time is to pull the spark plugs and lick the electrode, then cylinder 5 & 7 were salty but completly dry all other spark plugs were not salty and dry as well.

Did pressure test and all cylinders fired up to 150 PSI, now, the million dollar question is how raw water got to the oil pan!, I know that a non working exhaust valve can draw raw water even a spark plug, particularly on sterndrives, however, theory says that if there is a problem with a valve, cylinder pressure should go down and this is not the case.

As far as I know the other thing I need to check is the oil intercooler for internal leeks, apart from that am completely baffled!

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Is it possible the riser/ elbow gasket is leaking, allowing raw water to get into the manifold, then into the exhaust ports and down past the rings into the oil pan?

Jeff

Agree with Chris and Jeff... re: oil cooler.... since pressure of the oil within the cooler is in the 10s of psi at all times, and raw water isn't anywhere near that high, oil cooler leaks result in oil in the raw water which shows up as a sheen on the water and not visa-versa.

Many thanks to you all!

I am going to the marina on boxing day to check. Elbows are same age as the manifolds and we did leaking test before fitting. But nevertheless, once I check the oil cooler and assuming that is fine my next move will be to pressure test once more the exhaust manifolds.

In relation to the intercooler I forgot to mention that there is also some sheen of oil coming through the sterndrive exhaust.

I will keep you guys posted.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

The only way to remove salt from the engine is a complete teardown and cleaning. You must figure it out quickly as you have circulated salty water through all the journals and I would be concerened about running the engine until I was sure no serious damage has occured. You dont want to destroy a freshly rebuilt engine knowing you have circulated salt through it. Others here may know better but just raising the red flag before you cook that engine?

The only way to remove salt from the engine is a complete teardown and cleaning. You must figure it out quickly as you have circulated salty water through all the journals and I would be concerened about running the engine until I was sure no serious damage has occured. You dont want to destroy a freshly rebuilt engine knowing you have circulated salt through it. Others here may know better but just raising the red flag before you cook that engine?

Thanks for the advice !

I have a 2008 496 Mag B# I installed in 2008 along with a new fuel tank due to ethynol and salt water in fuel cell eventually eatinf aluminum tanl and eventually dry holing #1 cylinder. Now, ten years later, engine hydro locked. Am 2/3rds of the way thry tear down to long block to send to marine machine spe******t here in Norwlak CT. Just joined and will be sharing my travails.

I have a 2008 496 Mag B# I installed in 2008 along with a new fuel tank due to ethynol and salt water in fuel cell eventually eatinf aluminum tanl and eventually dry holing #1 cylinder. Now, ten years later, engine hydro locked. Am 2/3rds of the way thry tear down to long block to send to marine machine spe******t here in Norwlak CT. Just joined and will be sharing my travails.

Make sure your engine builder does not pull the crank position wheel off the crank shaft. If he does the crank shaft is junk.

Back