Logo

Tohatsu 50Hp Project

snips

Hi all.

Iv'e been trying to get a very sickly 50 two stroke working for the past few months but is a bit of a one step forward two step back affair!
i thought i had it working but alas not quite and iv'e hit a brick wall, I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
(it's on the back of a ZapCat if that's of any interest)
Yesterday i took it out and it was running well and at speed, however at wide open throttle it would drop in revs after a long stint and I had to come off the throttle then bring it back on.

took it out today and got maybe a ten second run at full speed then it would slow down again, the difference today was the power would rise and fall randomly throughout the throttle range and got gradually worse until all it could do was idle around at slow speed, increasing throttle caused it to stall.

any theories as to what i could do.

additional information.
New fuel lines and bulb
External fuel filter fitted
carbs cleaned
cylinder head has been off with pistons cleaned
new nacaru coils
iv'e wired these in myself, may be a wiring issue?

cheers!

A slow rise and fall of rpms is usually a fuel related issue, A very sharp reduction or drop of rpms is electrical in nature. Start with basic troubleshooting, Compression test,followed by a open air gap spark test, A lightning blue snap,finally fuel diagnostics, TRy pumping primer bulb while engine is acting up to check fuel flow, Does primer bulb stay semi-firm, Pull fuel line off at pump inlet,squeeze primer ,does fuel flow unrestricted? With engine running,run a cylinder drop test,pulling one wire at a time to pinpoint non firing cylinder or place a timing light on each plug wire to do the same

Back