Logo

D3-130 that I really want to be a 160 ?

burkstar

Contributing Member
Hi all
ive asked many people this but the answers I get really make no sense so wondered if someone could please explain in lay men's terms.
i have a D3-130 in my boat that I am told is exactly the same as a 160 with the exception of how the software is mapped is that true?
if that is the case what do I need to change to make it a 160? I believe that the EVC box is the same on both so is there something else that determines whether it is a 130hp or a 160 ?
regards Brian

Different size injectors,programming of ecm, Just an educated guess. Wait for others to respond, I'm not a diesel mech

Normally a change like that on a common rail engine would just be a reprogramming job. Could be injectors and/or boost levels, but injectors aren't so likely and I doubt they changed the turbo for a 30hp change. Most likely just a tweak to the software or the variable vane controller for the turbo. Having said that, you would just end up with 160hp of rubbish which may be even less reliable than 130hp of rubbish. We owned a pair of d3-160's and I had to sell the boat to get rid of them before they bankrupted us. Volvo make some rubbish engines from time to time, but those early D3's were just horrible unless you were the local Volvo servicing and parts agent.

Back