Logo

mercury 200hp 1986 powerhead removal

gaztric

Iv removed an old powerhead before but since i was replacing the head on that one i was pretty ruff when taking it off.

I have another one for another boat and it looks like its very good nick compared to the other one i attacked.So I am taking this one off to get to the swivel arm.And ill be putting the powerhead back on so i want to be as careful as i can.

Any suggestions? i have all nuts loose.

Whats this pb blaster people talk about on here? is it an american thing? Can i get it in Australia? what about something to freeze the bolts? or what about heating the bolts.Id say its just the four long ones that are the problem.

If heating do i heat just the bolt or the housing aswell where the bolts goes through?Or heat the housing and freeze the bolt?

Salt water motor ?----The long studs may be jammed with corrosion products.---------Try turning those studs one at a time.

Salt water motor ?----The long studs may be jammed with corrosion products.---------Try turning those studs one at a time.

I think its only freshwater.But I don't know its full history.Owner before me used it only in freshwater not sure how long he had it.
The powerhead is not separated yet. Should i still try and turn studs?If so which way and what with?I don't particular want to cross thread the studs.

Those can be buggers to get off. I suspend the entire motor from a chain fall, then shake the hell of it until they give. Another good trick is trying to pry upward on the forward two studs with a pry bar.

Good luck, Mate!

Jeff

Hi Fastjeff
Iv had to drill and break bolts anyways its nearly of.
Just wondering when i fix problems and I reassemble will I have to retime the engine?
Thanks.

So finally Iv started putting the midsection back together and hopefully putting power head back on tomorrow.
Just wondering since the power head has been laying on the bench since march last year what should I do?I have had a sheet over it for most of that time but still looks a little dusty I was thinking i will just get the air compressor and give it a good blow.Can i give it a blow up into the exhaust and other areas?or could this cause dust to go into places it shouldn't?
And after sitting for so long on its side would taking the fuel pump of be a good idea to have a look see if there is residue of oil sickly looking fuel?would the carberetors be okay?
And should I turn flywheel buy hand and have a look inside cylinders to see if all is okay?
Thanks for your time.

Hi Gaztric,
I am in the process of putting a 1982 115hp 2 stroke inline 6 all back together. Not sure if its similar to yours?
I am in Brisbane if your local. Otherwise, whats wrong with it?
If you need heat to get bolts undone, heat up the bolt casing. Not the bolt. (It will of course also heat the bolt up, but not as much)
The heat expands the metal (and will draw the like of WD40 towards the heat). If you heat the bolt only up, it will expand and get tighter. If you know what I mean.

Back