Logo

Question when dropping lower unit to replace impeller on 1985-7 18 HP XD Mercury motor

rh.campbell

I am not sure what to expect from the shift lever on my 18 HP XD Mercury outboard when I drop the lower unit to replace the impeller. There doesn't appear to be any place to disconnect it along the shaft so that i don't disturb the gearing connection in the lower unit. The on line manual suggests I disconnect the coupling "behind the carburetor" but there does not appear to be any way to do this without taking the whole engine apart. This connection point is not even visible.

Any suggestions on how to do this without disturbing the lower unit connection to the shift lever. It does say to shift into reverse to do this process but remains vague after that.

But you have to look below the carburetor on the port side.--------Simple disconnect there.------------If electric start you might want to remove the starter.

No electric start. After a lot of looking on the port side as you suggested...bingo...there it was right in front of my nose.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow to see how it's actually connected to the small plastic unit...thanks for responding

Back