Logo

To anti seize exhaust manifold botls or not?

cbartle60

I have read so many different opinions on whether or not to use anti seize on the exhaust manifold bolts. I need to replace mine now and am not sure whether or not to use it and if so what type/brand do you recommend? (please excuse the typo in the post heading...oops)

Last edited:
I replaced my exhaust manifolds earlier this year. I, too, struggled with the question of using anti-seize or not. In the end, I applied a little to the last section of each bolt's thread that would contact the head to (hopefully) seal out any liquid that might work its way down the bolt. I think my current can of anti-seize is a Permatex product and it's worked fine.

Dan

First...... understand that there are two categories for these products.... Auto and Marine.

The Automotive version of Anti-Seize/Never-Seeze may contain aluminum, copper, graphite, etc., suspended in an oily product.
The Automotive version is excellent at/on warm/hot engine related fasteners, and is NOT intended to be used below the water line!
When subjected to water, the aluminum, copper, graphite, etc will cause issues!

The Marine version of Anti-Sieze will not have these components and will be more of a rubber-cement type viscosity (much like the QuickSilver "Perfect Seal"), mainly intended to prevent corrosive water intrusion. This version is intended to be used below the water line.
I would NOT use it at/on warm/hot engine related fasteners.

In asnwer to the thread question...... YES ..... Automotive Anti-Sieze or Never-Seeze is a very good choice for exhaust manifold fasteners.
I would use caution in areas of potenailly wet threads, such as some Manifold-to-Elbow fasteners.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will use anti seize on the manifold bolts, but not on the riser bolts.

If your Exhaust Spacer/Riser and/or Elbow female bolt threads are "dead ended" (meaning dry and not potentially wet), you can safely use Anti-Sieze.

Just make sure that you use the Automotive version.

Attachments

• Exhaust riser space vs elbow explained 5 .jpg
    Exhaust riser space vs elbow explained 5 .jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106
Back