Logo

Squeaking power trim, and runs slower then used to

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
I have a 97 evinrude 115 e115eleua. My power trim is squeaking, I've greased everything the manual has showed me, and it still does it.. The reservoir is full and I made sure there is no air in it..
https://instagram.com/p/BNxennjgqH1/
this is the video watch and listen to the squeak! Only does it when I trim up.

Do you not hear the schreeching when it goes up? It only does it when it's cold outside. When it's warm it goes away. It never used to schreech. I figured it was the power trim motor going out

Motor used in fresh or salt? What does tilt tube look like? Has it had a regular greaseing? If not and especially in salt water this often neglected item becomes dry and tight. Makes trim work harder and could be source of noise.
To test tilt engine up and support on manual support arms. Remove pin from top of tilt ram. Operate trim unit and see if you still gave the noise.

Oh okay,I know where you are talking about now. I've actually greased that too. Didn't change a thing.. oh the joy of working on 20 year old boats!!

It's even more weird that it only squeaks when it starts to cool off outside. In the summer it wouldn't do it. But once temps get below 60 degrees it screeches like this.

Disconnect steering arm from steering tube cable and clean outside of steering cable and inside of steering tube with a cordless drill and a wire brush that will fit inside of tube. Cable needs to be removed from steering tube, Big wrench and vise grips worrks

I'm gonna jump on that this evening finally. Work had shown me how to do that cause I had to do it on a customers twin motors. Idk if you saw my most recent thread but work thinks I'm getting air in the fuel system, my fuel hose is pretty shot. It's splitting on the outside and anytime you touch it your hands are solid black. And it takes about 7-8 pumps of the bulb to pump firm, vs 4 pumps like it used to be later last year.

Cleaned all that steering cable tube junk up. Didn't help my power trim any. Still slower then I last remember. Did hep my steering some though! Also noticed if i trim down and increase speed, the motor trims down faster. Thought it was very odd?

Sounds like the tilt tube is dry and probably all rusted up have you shot grease in the zerts for the tilt tube? See how difficult it is to tilt the engine by hand. If it tilts easy then tilt motor needs to be replaced.

Should be on port side,usually a wide flat tip type screw, The thrust of engine in forward gear will assist trim go down",trimming in" Thread #16

Last edited:
Found the valve! Found it on port side right where it says "manual release valve." Lol. If I turn this will the motor trim down on its own? As in so I need to have something underneath the lower unit when i turn this valve counterclockwise ?

It just got dark outside and the skeeters here are rough already with the warm weather I'll fool with it in the morning and will keep y'all posted

Yep and if I'm already on plane and I have to trim in then it trims down at the speed that it used to trim in no matter if I was driving or sitting in neutral.

I had done what johnny had stated earlier, disconnected steering cable and cleaned outside of cable and in side steering tube with a drill and wire brush. Soaked it all in carb cleaner actually it was making that grease come right off. I had taken a long wired brush and shoved some paper towels through it to soak up any leftover cleaner and grease, rubbed some grease on the end of the steering cable that goes through the tube. Pumped the fittings on tilt tube full of grease and the only difference I saw was my steering wheel was easier to turn.

Back