Logo

drive not working on my tohatsu

hi all, I have an issue. went to catalina and on the way back I used the motor as it was no wind. by the time I made it back the motor stopped working in the forward but the reverse was ok, but then the next day, it didn't work either. the motor turns out perfect, but now the forward or reverse lever is stuck and the gas throttle doesn't work. it turns on perfectly. just wont go forward or back. what do you recommend me doing to getting it fixed on my own. you guys helped me on suggesting the carb needed a good rebuild and I did it and worked like a charm. I hope you can do the same for the drive/reverse. thank you. its a tohatsu outboard 9.8 hp , 4 stroke. 1985-86. thank you again.

Pull drain plugs in lower unit and inspect oil, A little metal on magnetic plug is normal. Pull cowl off,dis connect linkage from engine to see if it's motor linkage or control box hanging up

hi all, I have an issue. went to catalina and on the way back I used the motor as it was no wind. by the time I made it back the motor stopped working in the forward but the reverse was ok, but then the next day, it didn't work either. the motor turns out perfect, but now the forward or reverse lever is stuck and the gas throttle doesn't work. it turns on perfectly. just wont go forward or back. what do you recommend me doing to getting it fixed on my own. you guys helped me on suggesting the carb needed a good rebuild and I did it and worked like a charm. I hope you can do the same for the drive/reverse. thank you. its a tohatsu outboard 9.8 hp , 4 stroke. 1985-86. thank you again.
It is NOT from 1986, likely 2006 or newer. Year is irrelevant. It is an MFS9.8A3. The linkages are jammed or jumped off.

Pull drain plugs in lower unit and inspect oil, A little metal on magnetic plug is normal. Pull cowl off,dis connect linkage from engine to see if it's motor linkage or control box hanging up
No. There is no magnet on those drain plugs. There is no control box.

Last edited:
thank you. I will see if that linkages are jammed or jumped off and either unjammed them or put them back. hope its an easy task to do. for that I am sure I will need to remove the motor and do it while off the boat on a stand. so will try this coming weekend. will report next week. thanks again sir.

thanks also for this one. I also have another question.....will the mercury merc 1250 fit or a good fit if I am not able to fix mine? seems a bit BIG and heavy and wonder if that would affect the 25ft 1986 LANCER SAIL BOAT I have. there will have to be some adjustments needed. but would like your opinion on the subject. thank you

Hi Paul, today i checked motor. The drive and reverse lever are no longer jammed or stuck. The throttle is working as i turned the motor in once i noticed the the forward and reverse were not stuck. Motor turned on 2 pull and if idles perfect and revs perfect. Levere switches easily. But propeller is not spinning. I am gonna remove it and see its a bad propeller or it the shaft where it is secured on spins at all. Pls lete know what else to check for now.

I removed the propeller and looks a lot warned. The teeth do anyways. The shaft whete it mounts on its ok, but would consider replacing. I attached a few pix to give u a better idea. Tha k u again.

If the bronze splines inside the prop hub are chewed, either the wrong prop was installed, or the prop nut was not tight.

Back