Logo

Winterization 318

I drained block (both sides) Started engine ran RV antifreeze 6 gallons from bucket and had antifreeze going out both exhausts. Shut motor down. I did NOT remove thermostat. Read on many forums need to remove thermo. Should I be ok? Thanks.

Manifolds drained. I have dual pocket pump. If Antifreeze went out both exhausts doesn't that mean it had to go through thermostat?

This is a common misunderstanding for owners of the RWC Marine Engine.

Most all seawater bi-passes Engine cooling demands.
Engine cooling demands are only a fraction of what the seawater pump supply is capable of providing.
What this means to average Joe, is that when pulling AF in through the seawater path, we will see AF exit the exhaust system.
Many of us see the AF exit the exhaust, and we think that "All is well!"
Not so!

Just plain ole AIR will not freeze expand and crack our expensive cast iron components...... meaning that if we follow the OEM winterizing procedure, and leave every seawater cavity EMPTY, we will have no issues.

I wrote this article several years ago during an on line forum debate regarding the use of these Winterizing Kits!

BTW..... Camco is only one company....... so this would pertain to any company who offers these kits!!!!!!

In the right hands, these kits can be OK...... but if in the wrong hands, it may be very costly!

Back