Logo

Smoking BF130 won't start!

oski946

Did something stupid. Honda 1999 BF 130. Boat was not accelerating properly so changed fuel filters. Then wanted to test it so ran it using hose flush. I over did it and it started smoking. Shut it down and waited. Now won't turnover. Is my engine fried? Thanks

Pull spark plugs,put wrench or socket on flywheel nut,turn clockwise,see if she rotates,if she rotates try a compression test with a fully charged battery

Thanks will try that. Testing for a blown cylinder head gasket? Also will pull off the lower unit to look for a melted water pump? Maybe the drive shaft is restricted.
Thanks

The flywheel turned over and I took the lower unit off. The vertical drive shaft seems stuck in the channel/cover just before the water pump. Any ideas on how to loosen that. Thanks

There should be a mid shaft bearing/bushing that is binding inside there, Does the flywheel "crankshaft" turn to a certain point and then stop,will it rotate 360 degrees and then some? Testing compression will show if head gasket is usually blown due to severe over heat:(

Last edited:
with the plugs in it rotated to a point and stopped. I turned it over for a second using the starter and it started. I shut it right off. Then I saw the drive shaft frozen to the bearing/sleeve so I figured that was the problem. Do you know any method to free up the vertical drive shaft? What about heating it?
Thanks SR

Had a friend that had a suzuki 140 2001 had a binding mid shaft bearing, Drive shaft had to be cut out with a torch through mid shaft housing,destroying that housing and the drive shaft in order to drop lower unit. Suzuki refused to admit it was an engineering flaw, Placed blame on lack of maintenance,lubing that shaft every year,which owners manual said nothing about,and flushing with fresh water after every use. 2000$$ later, Hopefully not your senario

If you're saying that the mainshaft is frozen to the bush in the case separator, you should still be able to pull the separator and shaft out of the extension case as one piece with the gear case off. Then, you can access the internal snap ring that holds the bush in the seprator housing and try to take the bush and mainshaft out together. Then it should be fairly easy to cut the bushing from the shaft.

Depending on whether or not the bushing spun in the housing will dictate if you can reuse the separator housing or replace it. There are likely plenty of used ones for sale but beware the same thing could have happened to them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OK so finally got the bushing off the shaft. Had to drill out the rubber with a Dremel and then forced and levered the separator piece off and it finally moved. The water pump looks good and the rest of the lower unit looks ok. So got lucky. Looks like the bushing was the only thing that burned. Thanks for the help.
SR

Good job!

I'm curious to know what you think about what made it fail. Do you think it had anything to do with running the outboard on the muffs too long? Or, was it just a coincidence?

Not sure about the honda, but suzuki tech said water cools that middle bushing. He also said lack of maintenance caused these issues,ie.lack of fresh water flushing,disassembling mid housing and re greasing bushing/bearing every year,which owners manual does not cover

Yes my tech also feels it was degeneration of the rubber bushing combined with some heat from running it too hard on the hose flush (not recommended at all by Honda) and maybe not greasing the bushing when changing the water pump. Thanks for your comments. Still waiting for parts to put it together and then I'll know for sure if its good.

Back